Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 31, 2016   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Carolyn, Re: the heart discussion above, how can one tell if they have a heart shaped version of an old standby or a new variety.
Just curious.
I think I discussed that in post #31 if you are talking just about heart vs non heart for the same variety.

Other than that I've been given seeds when the person has no idea of what they might be.Right now I have some seeds sent to me where the person said he got it from his neighbor and he just called it"that old Russian one"

If I were to look at the many hundreds of varieties I've sourced and introduced a good number of them came from persons who didn't know what they would be.

Ones that come to mind might include

Sandul Moldovan
Chris Ukrainian
Crnkovich Yugoslavian
Neves Azorean Red
Ilse's Yellow
Gogosha
Box Car Willie
Red Barn
MuleTeam,and the others Joe Bratka's father bred, Joe's father had named them but Joe himself didn't know what they were like.

Kiev
Khirhiv
Omar's Lebanese
Olena Ukrainian
Wuhib
Tadesse

... and many more

When that happens I offer to work with the person who gave the seeds to me to come up with a good name as I did with Tam and her George Desitkis Italian Red. Or with Sheryl Galant to come up with the name Sheryl's Red Portuguese Heart.

Someone somewhere has to be the first to set the standard traits of variety and then hopefully SSE list it or whatever.

If I haven't answered your question adequately please let me know here and I'll try again.

Carolyn
Old August 31, 2016   #47
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Posted in the wrong thread here.
I meant to post it in Heart Shaped Omar's Lebanese! thread.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; August 31, 2016 at 11:42 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016   #48
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Wow, those are beautiful Dutch! Thanks a million for growing them out, and confirming that they are a stable heart. I hope everyone gets to taste this delicious tomato
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote