Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old September 8, 2010   #1
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Default What Open Pollinated sweet corn did you grow this year?

This year it was "Whipples White", planted late so we'll still have a few weeks to wait for an outcome.

Mine is just now setting tassles and silk.

In past years I grew out "Stowels Evergreen" it is marginal here in the Monadnock region of NH. I may simply not have enough summer for this late corn.

I still have some "Hopi Pink" from past years seed saving, it seems to me to be somewhat diminished due to too small seed collection (by me). I may be relocating to OH, maybe I can get corn to actually grow there....
Old September 8, 2010   #2
Hairy Moose Knuckles
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

I've been meaning to ask how the Hopi Pink Growout went. I've got the right area for corn, but I'm surrounded by what I assume are GMO corn growers, so I never try and save seed.
Hairy Moose Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2010   #3
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Moose Knuckles View Post
Tom,

I've been meaning to ask how the Hopi Pink Growout went. I've got the right area for corn, but I'm surrounded by what I assume are GMO corn growers, so I never try and save seed.

Anthony, Re: hopi pink
I sent out four or five 1/2 pound packs spring of '09. If I'm spared (and get to unpack) I'll probably do so again spring of '11.

Pester me in the early spring, and foobar to GMO growers.
Untill there is as big a clutter of corn-heads as there are dwarf tomato trial-ers (here), there is work to do that nobody hardly is doing.

I like Alan Bishop, I hope he never ever gets pinched for his um, er, "hobby", ATF are crabby cops, may Alan's life ever be pure distilled joy...

His result is not part of my endeavor.
Old September 28, 2010   #4
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I grew Stowell's Evergreen and 2-inch Strawberry Popcorn (squirrels got it!). Last year the stowell's did well for me in Massachusetts. I will grow it next year again.
Old September 29, 2010   #5
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Stowels' might just be too late for me here in central NH.

I'd love to hear back on some of the multi-colored sweet corns of Alan B or Tom W endeavor.
Old October 5, 2010   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

If you don't mind small ears, Yukon Supreme would probably do well for you (55 days, for me).

This year I trialed Buhl. It's fairly late, but worth it.

Buhl and Hawaiian #9 are the best OP's I've tried.

Another trial this year was Nuetta, I think. I'll probably have to contact Glen at Sand Hill to see if I have the real deal.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2010   #7
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

this is my first year growing corn. I'm currently growing strawberry popcorn and japonica. Is it normal to just have 1 year on each plant?
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2010   #8
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

One ear is quite common. Some varieties have multiple ears, but as far as I know, one ear is "normal". In this country, more than half of all food crops grown are fed to livestock, with corn being the base 'feed'. I cannot imagine how farmers can make a living growing corn. Without expensive harvesting/processing equipment, it probably could not be raised economically. Where I live, we do not get enough summer heat to grow corn, but I plan on moving. I will certainly give it a try once I have a suitable climate...even if it doesn't work out, at least the pigs & chickens will be happy. Good corn is better than candy...I hope it works out well.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2010   #9
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Here, a farmer friend of mine that is growing commercial sweet corn told me that he only leaves one ear to mature on the plant for commercial while the small harvested ears is sold as "baby corn".

I'm very happy that I tried growing corn. It did well even on container. Grows fast and low maintenance. The only problems are the itchy-worms and hoppers invasion.

pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2010   #10
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Unlike a tomato corn crosses will have effects the same year grown guess because you are eating the seed, but usually most people do not grow hard corns like popcorn or field corns near sweat corn crops as it can cross and make your sweet corn tough.

The rest of the plant is usually used as silage (sp) for dairy cows in my neck of the woods.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011   #11
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Can anyone recommend a good OP corn for flour and one for hominy? Mexican heirloom varieties would be especially great.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011   #12
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurley View Post
Can anyone recommend a good OP corn for flour and one for hominy? Mexican heirloom varieties would be especially great.
Hi lurley, great question--I found a few of places that look interesting. I'll will order from them myself for next year (just wish I had found them for this season ).

~Scroll down about 1/3 of the page for this link~
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/corn_seeds.htm

http://www.anniesheirloomseeds.com/c...FQllgwod_GG4Yw

http://www.stclareseeds.com/corn.html

http://sweetcornorganicnursery.com/s...es/Corn-Seeds/

http://rareseeds.com/vegetablesa-c/corn.html

Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011   #13
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

From New World Seeds & Tubers: http://www.seedweneed.com/
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2011   #14
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

I broke down and bought some of Alan Bishops' Astronomy Dominie (sp?) this spring. It's growing great guns here in tropical SE-OH. I need to oil up silks. Theres no way this'll escape corn worms.
Old July 7, 2011   #15
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C zone 4/5 View Post
I broke down and bought some of Alan Bishops' Astronomy Dominie (sp?) this spring. It's growing great guns here in tropical SE-OH. I need to oil up silks. Theres no way this'll escape corn worms.
"oil up silks" you know some tricks to growing corn--never heard of that before. Any particular kind of oil you would suggest, thanks.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote