Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 18, 2009   #1
MrTudball
Tomatovillian™

Default Zone 5'rs, progress on your garden?

Was wondering if any of my fellow zone 5 gardeners have their tomatoes out yet? Normaly here in Nebraska I would have got my tomatoes transplanted about a week ago, but due to a late start, I had to order my plants in so new early transplanting for me. The last week would have been great for a good start (no wind, rain, and temps from 50-80). But of course the weather once the tomato plants are expected later this week is supposed to be windy and rainy thru next week.

Would love to hear where everyone else too see how your garden is doing so far.

Mark
MrTudball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes have been in for a week, but not much growth so You will be OK. Everything else looks good: potatoes up, green beans good, peas OK, cabbage starting to curl into heads, squashes and gourds planted but not up, cukes not up yet (planted from seed this year), watermelon, muskmelon and pumpkins planted today, strawberries beginning to show a blush. As you well know we have had both hot and dry and cool and rainy this spring.
Old May 18, 2009   #3
Deere Guy
Tomatovillian™

Default Don't laugh, I'm new

Although we might have pretty different climates in spring, since I'm a fellow zone 5'er, I thought I'd share a picture or 2.

The first picture is from just over 2 weeks ago. Cherry on the left and Brandywine on the right. The second picture is of the brandwine just a few minutes ago. The third is of my humble garden. (14 individual rows).

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07343.jpg (493.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07403.jpg (522.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07395.jpg (497.3 KB, 56 views)
Deere Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009   #4
MrTudball
Tomatovillian™

Deer Guy, nice garden, thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like you have quite a large area to work with. How much of the day do your plants have direct sunlight?

Paul, cant wait to try some of your tomatoes this year, and thanks for the PM's.
MrTudball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

As I think we all know not all zone 5's are the same. Here in my zone 5 in upstate NY on the VT border the last average frost date is May15th and we had frost warnings last night and also for tonight.

I learned many years ago not to ever plant out tomatoes until a couple of weeks after the last average frost date, so mine won't go out until around the first of June, weather permitting.

And last year we had a freak frost on June 7th, not that I remember specific dates or anything.
Old May 19, 2009   #6
Deere Guy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudball View Post
Deer Guy, nice garden, thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like you have quite a large area to work with. How much of the day do your plants have direct sunlight?
Thanks MrTudball. I have a nice little level patch that I'm growing in. Oddly enough, I live on top of a rock ledge just inches below the surface on 90% of my property. When tilling those strips, I only hit 2 small rocks. Perhaps it was worked when the house was built over 100 years ago.

As for sunlight, it runs from about 9am to 6pm on all but the first 2 rows to the north. I'll have to do some research and see what works best there. I have a tree row to the west and I could plant closer to that if I need to utilize more afternoon shade. It's all a work in progress.
Old May 19, 2009   #7
Deere Guy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
the last average frost date is May15th and we had frost warnings last night and also for tonight.

I learned many years ago not to ever plant out tomatoes until a couple of weeks after the last average frost date, so mine won't go out until around the first of June, weather permitting.

And last year we had a freak frost on June 7th, not that I remember specific dates or anything.

That would hamper things a bit now wouldn't it. Last year we had a freak early to mid May freeze that took everybody by surprise. We did have 40 for the low the other night, which was near record. My plants suffered through a couple 30 degree nights and came out of it just fine. I nearly had a stroke, though.
Old May 23, 2009   #8
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I planted most of the tomatoes in WOW about 2 weeks ago - so far all have shown some sort of growth even though one of them was stepped on (!). Cool/hot weather - not really conducive for tomatoes. Planted 4 more today and still have 2 to go. Planted the rest of the garden(s) last weekend and today so nothing is up yet except for marigolds and zinnias. Lows still in the 40's. There's still hope.
guruofgardens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009   #9
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Almost all of mine have been in for about two weeks. Some are blooming. The ones I started are, of course, much smaller but strong. Still have few more to put in. Potatoes are looking good, peas have some growth but as you may know, we are in very serious drought in Lincoln. Less than 1/2 inch of rain since forever. Peas may come out early if the set isn't good. Cherries are dropping off the tree and many things just barely hanging on. Asparagus has been quite stunted even with watering. Rhubarb is fading quickly. The rains seem to break just west of the city and move to the north or south. Lawns are browning and lawn clipping which should be plentiful, are in short supply. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009   #10
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

We had two frosts last week. I had some peppers out and covered them. No problems. I planted out the rest of my healthy pepper starts over the past two days, and got a few tomatoes in. I still have to dig up two more garden plots before I can put the rest of the tomatoes in, but the plants are pretty small so I'm not going to hurt myself trying to get it done. That should be finished in a couple of days.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #11
littlehands
Tomatovillian™

I'm 5b and I've had some tomatoes out in raised beds for almost a month. My main crop is halfway out, the rest will go in tomorrow or Wed. I have several potted plants that have been in since mid April, but they lived in a cold frame for quite awhile. Those ones have blossoms but have not set fruit as of yet.

However, it's been unseasonably warm here. We are usually touch and go until about now as far as frost goes. May is a very precarious month for us. This year, our last frost was towards the end of April, so things have been amazing. I only covered twice and it didn't even freeze those times. Better safe than sorry, eh?
littlehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #12
louster
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes are in, 36 of them in Earl's holes finished up today, yay!!!! Peppers were also planted yesterday. Potatoes were planted last month, they are up and doing really well. Peas are spotty, germination problems with them this year. Broccoli and lettuce have been in for awhile, both doing well. I have yet to plant the corn and pumpkins, will probably get those in over the next couple of days. I love this time of year!!!!
louster is offline   Reply With Quote