Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2019   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Goliath and Splitting

Every year I see severe splitting, or radical cracking, on top of some of my Goliath tomatoes. The tomatoes shown here show various stages of the cracking, which can eventually be severe. These images show that these tomatoes are not fully ripe and still have some green on the shoulders.

All the plants and all the varieties get the same amount of rain, irrigation, soil, sun, fertilizers, etc. It can happen to any variety, but it seems to only be a characteristic of the Goliaths, and only on top. Is it because they are a large variety and start splitting when they get big? Or is it just part of their natural characteristics? Is it because they have been a little dry, or too hot, and then get too much water?

The other odd thing about Goliath, in particular, at least in my experience, is that practically all of my Goliaths are near perfect when green, but when they start turning colors all kinds of trouble starts, including bird pecks, soft spots, bad spots, splitting, etc. Maybe I should just pick them a little earlier, but I like for them to start turning red and get all their final good boost of good flavor on the vine instead of ripening on the table.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to any comments.

Last edited by TomatoDon; July 14, 2019 at 03:13 AM.
TomatoDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2019   #2
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I found this interesting paragraph after my original post. And Goliath is large, and an heirloom dating back to the 1800's. Maybe it's just what they do...but it almost always on the larger ones. Maybe I should just start picking them all earlier.

"Although, it may seem similar, 'cracking' around the tops of heirloom tomatoes is a different issue—more of a 'price you pay for a great tasting big old-fashioned tomato' kind of thing. Almost, all of the old original big 'beefsteak' sized tomatoes are prone to at least a little bit of cracking around the tops, and most of the time it isn't a problem. Just pick them, slice off that top 5% and enjoy the rest. And besides—some of the really huge heirlooms never seem to want to ripen all the way to the top, so it makes sense to pick them when they're still a little green-shouldered anyway; otherwise you risk them getting overripe on the vine and losing flavor."