Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 24, 2008   #1
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default anybody else having trouble getting their garden in?

This weather! A day or so ago the forecast for the weekend looked great. This morning my DH tilled the corn plot and then took off to go hiking.

Fast forward an hour. It's raining. Again.

And I still don't have my corn planted.

Anybody else still waiting for the weather to clear before planting?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008   #2
RosaDawn
Tomatovillian™

I am....Today I was going to plant out my tomatoes,it was sunny and warm out.I had just finished planting out the zucchini,cukes,melons and pumpkin seedlings when I started to feel a definite chill in the air.So i told myself,no way am I putting those tomatoes out there right now.Overnight temps in the 40's for the next week or so,and I would be covering every night.
RosaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008   #3
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

Yup - I've never been this late in at least turning over the ground. The only up-side is that 1) the soil is moist again, and 2) it's still cool enough to grow lettuce decently in some of the pots.

I HOPE I can get the tomatoes in, and get beans and squash seeded, this weekend.

Robin
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008   #4
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I have put in a few tomatoes and that is it. Raining all weekend again.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008   #5
strmywthr3
Tomatovillian™

yep, haven't even tilled my garden yet. I've got tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and squash all ready to go in the ground. it's just been so wet this spring that the garden plot never dried out and you can't till wet clay. I should be able to till tonight after work and hopefully start getting everything planted.

strmywthr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I got my corn in yesterday and was really wanting to start on at least a few tomatoes today, but I see the weather forecast has a possible low of 34F on Monday night, and about 37F on Tuesday night so, guess I better wait it out.

I've got cukes, zucchini and squash started in pots, so at least there is progress there. Actually, I see by my notes that I didn't get my tomatoes in til well into the first week of June last year -- not the weather's fault, but the thick weeds in hard clay soil took a long time to pull, since I was lazy the previous fall. I did a much better fall cleanup last October, so there is not nearly as much work this spring. I put lettuce transplants in a plastic tunnel on April 15th, and they thrived through three blizzards. Just now eating large thinnings which are delicious! Also the spinach which was sowed and sprouted last fall is at it's peak.

Dee
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008   #7
strmywthr3
Tomatovillian™

I finally tilled my garden yesterday. there were still a few damp spots, but it's supposed to storm this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon, so I figured now was the best time. I only had time to put in a few marigold and basil plants before dark. Hopefully I'll get my tomatoes, corn, squash, cucumbers, beans and others in the ground in the next few days.

strmywthr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008   #8
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I got three quarters of my corn in yesterday and put in some peanuts. For this area, this is late late late for corn.

And--ta da!--it rained another 0.7" overnight. No work in the garden today. At least the corn and peanuts got watered in.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008   #9
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

We get a half nice day, then a rainy day, which is what today is. Then back to half nice. A few weeks ago we had one week in the 80s-90s. It's been cool and rainy ever since. I have boxes of plant on the patio just waiting to be put in. My neighbors over the fence say I can use their garden space to grow this year as well. They are in their 80s and the poor husband just can't handle physical stuff so much any more. Anyway, the garden space is just waiting for the weather to clear up for good. I'm wondering if we will have another cool summer.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008   #10
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I have my peppers and tomatoes in...but looks like I have to plant pole and bush beans over again...rained for several days after they went into the ground and the seeds probably rotted.
Old May 29, 2008   #11
ctx00978
Tomatovillian™

Ruth, I'm just north of Springfield, MO so I think I can relate to your weather woes. Thankfully, I've been fairly lucky and have been able to get a large portion of my garden in, but I do have about 25 tomato plants still needing to get in the ground, as well as some cucumbers, peppers, watermelon, and okra. Hopefully, the ground will dry out enough today for me to get them in, because the rain is supposed to be back again by tomorrow. But you know what they say about the weather in Missouri......just wait around another day and it'll change.

Stacie
ctx00978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008   #12
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Finally, it's mostly all planted. Today all the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, and swiss chard went in. Only a few days later than normal, but we had a freeze Tuesday, and 30's forecast the past couple nights. It has been very dry here; the worst has been the wind - 15 to 25 mph the past few days, with highs in the low 60's.

But, the weather is changing. It hit 73 degrees today. Rain this weekend, and 80 coming midweek!

The only things left to plant are the sweetpotatoes, which haven't arrived yet, and the pumpkins and spaghetti squash.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2008   #13
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I think y'all have heard me complain about my weather woes. It is almost to that desperate measure frenzy where there is so much to be done that you don't know where to start. The toms that still need to get in the ground are getting huge. Yet lots of seeds of various veggies still need to be sown or it will be too late. All the weather hasn't deterred the weeds and those need constant attention. I'm hoping tomorrow will allow me at least a few hours out there.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote