Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old April 11, 2012   #1
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Default Homemade Organic Fertilizer article

I've seen Steve Solomon's organic fertilizer mentioned on any number of forums and articles, but I was never aware of its background until I discovered this 2006 article from Mother Earth News: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ...ur-Garden.aspx

I'm generally a bit cynical when it comes to the "just add compost" mantra of many organic gardening books and articles, but this is different. It offers great advice. It is specific, yet flexible. And, it is based on good science.

A few tidbits:

-- ignore your pH and focus on achieving a biologically-active, minerally balanced soil
-- apply compost regularly, but only in modest amounts
-- get a base saturation soil test every few years to make sure you're on the right track

Enjoy!
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for this link, 41- what a great article! I really need to get my soil tested but I can never figure out what's the best time to do it because it seems I've always just added lime, compost, manure, etc.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Kath - If you've already done your additions this spring, I'd do it right after you finish-up in the fall. Get your soil tested and then you'll have the chance to make adjustments prior to or at the same time that you add manure/compost.

Solomon recommends the same lab I use - Logan Labs in Ohio. I like them because they're inexpensive and their test provides much more information than the typical ag-extension and university labs.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012   #4
st3v3
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks!

Great article 41N! Thanks for sharing it.

I make my own organic fertilizer, but i'm not quite as scientific as Mr. Solomon. I did learn from reading the article though.

My own mix is composed of 3 parts well composted Horse manure, one part worm castings, .5 parts of bone meal, blood meal, and wood ashes, and a handfull of dolemitic lime. I'm a really big fan of worm castings! I also foliar feed and soil drench with fish/seaweed liquid.

I'd love to hear what others here use for their organic fertilization program

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads."
Henry David Thoreau
st3v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2012   #5
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

His book, Gardening When It Counts, is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Gardening-When.../dp/086571553X

~Martin
Old April 11, 2012   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
Kath - If you've already done your additions this spring, I'd do it right after you finish-up in the fall. Get your soil tested and then you'll have the chance to make adjustments prior to or at the same time that you add manure/compost.

Solomon recommends the same lab I use - Logan Labs in Ohio. I like them because they're inexpensive and their test provides much more information than the typical ag-extension and university labs.
Thanks, sounds like a plan.
Old April 11, 2012   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post
His book, Gardening When It Counts, is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Gardening-When.../dp/086571553X

~Martin
Just realized I have it on the shelf- no wonder this sounded familiar!