Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 13, 2013   #1
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Default Trellising Cucumbers?

Since it has been a rotten year for tomatoes down here I have put cucumbers in a large part of the field.

Of course they are going nuts and I didn't think to get them growing "up" from the beginning. So they are covering a lot of space and I would like to get them up.

I want to take 3 t-posts and make a tipi type set up with jute around it to let the cukes go up.

As the plants are mature and have a few small cukes on them I am wondering if it is too late to do this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2013   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Cucumbers are natural climbers. They send their little tendrils out all over the place. If you give them something to grab onto, they'll do it. No worries. I'm not saying they won't take up space on the ground because they'll do that, too, but they do like to climb and you'll get better air circulating in there and reduce disease. It is worth doing. Go ahead with your set up.
Old July 13, 2013   #3
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Not too late. Cukes vines are usually not very brittle. When my get unruly I just snap off the tendrils if they are grabbing where I don't want them and use the tomato clips to attach them to supports.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #4
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I like to trellis my cucumbers to save space and also because they are easier to see and harvest. As per the timing of future plantings in your area, I am not qualified. You might question gardeners in your area.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #5
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Keger,
The main reason that I trellis cucumbers is to keep them off the ground and to help them to grow straight. When they hang from a trellis you will get more straight cucumbers and you won't have yellow bottoms where they sat on the ground. There's also less chance for insect damage (ie. slugs).
dpurdy
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2014   #6
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

I use the metal cone like tomato cages for my cukes. they do well
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2014   #7
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I have mine climbing up baler twine on a wooden fence this year. Working out well!
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote