Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 29, 2018   #46
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Off subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladefan View Post
I had planted my seeds along with others in ocean forest mix. I got:

Alice Egypt 0/6
Rab Srce 0/5
Sheryl Portuguese heart 0/6

Grandpa Whites Red 0/5
Yaponets 0/8
That Russian Tomato 1/5

As you can see I had only 1 sprout out of the whole lot. I asked Shawn to send
Me more if possible and he was kind enough to do so. I am using a different medium (D.E.), This time around and I will report the results back soon. Hoping for better results as I was looking forward to trying out these varieties.

I have a variety (2011) from Romania that sprouted readily in D.E. So I’m hopeful...
The other tomatoes that I started in the ocean forest all came up fine...
Are you associated with your avatar name? I am a fan of the “ edged weapon” quicker,quieter,retrievable.I trade somewhat with source from Bladeplay.Pm with response.
Old April 30, 2018   #47
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

The last were apparently sent out 3 weeks ago, and I expect that except for some small minority, people planting for this year would have got their seeds started at least a couple of weeks ago.
So far we are seeing overall 33.62% germination rate. 461 seeds planted, 155 sprouted.
for individuals, the range is from a high of 62% down to a low of 3%

I am the only one who's reported 100% germination on any varieties.
One of my 100% no one else has reported, so hard to compare, my other one: Father, 2 others have reported, at 22% and 13%. I also had other varieties as low as 20%.

If no one objects, I could share the spreadsheet where I have entered everything, that might be the easiest way to try to find a correlation, but things look pretty random.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #48
charline
Tomatovillian™

Leon Noire had always good germination for me. This year 19/20. I am the original source of this variety. So there really must be another problem .
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #49
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Carolyn, if Rob can’t come through for you, I have lots of plants, and can pack some up and mail them to you, or maybe even drop them off, as we will be traveling near you on our way to Ithaca in the middle of May.
No matter what, we simply CANNOT let you be without tomato plants!
Shawn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Two days ago Rob sent me an e-mail titled I just got married, well I won't go into that at all,but he did say he would be able to raise some specific varieties for me and I think I still have enough seeds here that might work for both of us since he was also discussing where his NEW Farm would be.

I know some of the will be repeats,from the ones that you sent me initially, to share with those seed vendors that I always share with.but that's Ok with me.

And I reminded him that he was,and is a registered Tville member and his pictures of what he was growing were spectacular, I said please remember that you got those seeds from me.

So it looks like I will have a few plants in the side yard,if only Freda will spray and fertilize when needed, fingers crossed,

Carolyn
Old April 30, 2018   #50
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
The last were apparently sent out 3 weeks ago, and I expect that except for some small minority, people planting for this year would have got their seeds started at least a couple of weeks ago.
So far we are seeing overall 33.62% germination rate. 461 seeds planted, 155 sprouted.
for individuals, the range is from a high of 62% down to a low of 3%

I am the only one who's reported 100% germination on any varieties.
One of my 100% no one else has reported, so hard to compare, my other one: Father, 2 others have reported, at 22% and 13%. I also had other varieties as low as 20%.

If no one objects, I could share the spreadsheet where I have entered everything, that might be the easiest way to try to find a correlation, but things look pretty random.
It IS random, that I know from looking at who reported back and exactly who it was and I know most of them who reported, but not all,and the more experienced long time tomato growers were,for the most part, those who had the better germination results.

Carolyn
Old May 1, 2018   #51
dioudiou
Tomatovillian™

I am sorry I lost the paper with my germination results....
I remember that germination rate sas lower than 50%.
but the most important thing is that i manage to get at least one plant of each .

dioudiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018   #52
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

upcountrygirl PMed me since she was having problems posting. She had given me her germination results and I got back to her and asked her permission to post them here and she said yes,

I'm very happy to post them since her results are excellent.

La Nanesse (2017, 6 seeds, 5 germinated)
Bulgarskoye Chudo (I couldn't find a year for this one, Shawn sent 20 seeds, I didn't have room for that many, we seeded 10, 8 germinated. I'll seed the rest next year when I trial Honey & Sugar as I told Shawn I would in the seed offer because it got sent later due to the mail mishap.)
Grasa De Calina (2016, 8 seeds, 7 germinated)
Malinovaya Zebra (2017 6 seeds, all germinated! very excited and hopeful for this variety!)
That Russian Tomato (2017 4 seeds, 3 germinated)
Alice's Egypt (2016, 7 seeds, 5 germinated)

Carolyn
Old May 1, 2018   #53
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
upcountrygirl PMed me since she was having problems posting. She had given me her germination results and I got back to her and asked her permission to post them here and she said yes,

I'm very happy to post them since her results are excellent.

La Nanesse (2017, 6 seeds, 5 germinated)
Bulgarskoye Chudo (I couldn't find a year for this one, Shawn sent 20 seeds, I didn't have room for that many, we seeded 10, 8 germinated. I'll seed the rest next year when I trial Honey & Sugar as I told Shawn I would in the seed offer because it got sent later due to the mail mishap.)
Grasa De Calina (2016, 8 seeds, 7 germinated)
Malinovaya Zebra (2017 6 seeds, all germinated! very excited and hopeful for this variety!)
That Russian Tomato (2017 4 seeds, 3 germinated)
Alice's Egypt (2016, 7 seeds, 5 germinated)

Carolyn
So glad to see this post. I was getting worried.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018   #54
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Four more showed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
So glad to see this post. I was getting worried.
Sometimes they get buried in watering.4 more of the Colgar showed up.I have had volunteers ,hibernate over summer.This is the ugliest reg leaf ihave ever seen
.Never give up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A380B6B0-F466-43A5-A67E-FD9729673D71.jpg (602.2 KB, 173 views)
Old May 3, 2018   #55
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Today is Pot-up day. So, this is my last input on the germination results.

Alice's Egypt - 3 of 9
Bulgarskoye Chudo - 2 of 13
Father - 2 of 9 (1 of the original 3 "just died" at a height of 1/4 inch)
Grandma Oliver's Chocolate - 0 of 8
La Grosse a Lulu - 2 of 6
That Russian Tomato - 2 of 7

I received more GOC seeds from Shawn and also from a friend. I planted each in separate cells of tray #5. I planted 4 seeds from my friend and 15 from Shawn. Two of the seeds from my friend have already broke thru. Still waiting on the ones from Shawn. I'll keep this comparison going until I'm sure of each one.

My starter flats have MG potting mix as a base and the seeds are sewn on top of the mix. They are then "just barely" covered with enough mix to hide the seeds. Each cell gets enough water sprayed on to dampen the mix. The plastic cover goes on and the trays are set onto the heating mat. When 6 or more cells show germination, the cover is removed. As the pictures I will add to this post show, my techniques are working quite well for me.

I'll post this and then add the picture as soon as I can.

The picture shows tray #1 with the subject 6 cells in alphabetic order on the bottom. Note that Grandma Oliver's Chocolate is in the 4th cell from the left. Some cells are showing some minor drying out of the surfaces.

2018Tray1.JPG

The second picture is of two more of my trays showing overall great germination of all the varieties I started this year.

2018Trays3&2.JPG

This picture shows two more with one concentrating on dwarf varieties.

2018Trays4&1.JPG
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; May 3, 2018 at 01:48 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #56
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Good thing you have friends with seeds, right Ted?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #57
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Good thing you have friends with seeds, right Ted?
Right you are, Marsha. And I planted 5 of the GOC's and 3 of the KP's and I have 100% germination of both. My warmest thanks to my friend.

And, this morning I also noted one GOC "loop" breaking thru from the second batch of seeds that I received from Shawn. So, that one stands at 1/15. As I stated above, I'll continue to report on this variety.

So, I achieved my goal of getting plants to grow this year. You know, that's all I ever expect. Give me one viable plant and I'll forgive all other problems and shortcomings. That means that I'll have my own seeds to continue in the coming seasons.

Given what all these posts have told us, I would like the seed suppliers to tell us how ripe the fruits were when the seed harvests were done. Were the fruits "dead ripe" or "just breaking" or somewhere in between? My experience is that "Just Breaking" will always have lower viability, even when allowed to finish ripening on the counter.

More info in a few days.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; May 4, 2018 at 09:30 AM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #58
MdTNGrdner

Hi, results similar to others':

Bulgarskoye Chudo 2/7
La Nenesse 3/6
La Grosse a Lulu 1/7
Leon Noire 3/7
Pappy Kerns 0/7
Roosa Hild 3/7
Old May 4, 2018   #59
Bladefan
Tomatovillian™

Here are the results of "round two" (thanks again Shawn for sending more seeds.)

Alice Egypt 8/12
Rab Srce 2/12
Sheryl Portuguese heart 0/12

Grandpa Whites Red 5/9
Yaponets 9/10
That Russian Tomato 6/11

Much better results using D.E. I don't know about Sheryls Portuguese heart...
Bladefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2018   #60
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post

Given what all these posts have told us, I would like the seed suppliers to tell us how ripe the fruits were when the seed harvests were done. Were the fruits "dead ripe" or "just breaking" or somewhere in between? My experience is that "Just Breaking" will always have lower viability, even when allowed to finish ripening on the counter.

More info in a few days.
On that theory, it may be possible for some, It would be up to someone who knows the source of all 67 (only 37 with reported results) varieties to correlate, but there are some varieties where one person got good germination, while others had poor results. In some of these cases, one of those who had low numbers did get good results with another variety.

Maybe if there is enough seed, and time to put into it, a regular paper towel germination test could be done, I'd say just for the troublesome ones, but we still are only showing 2 varieties with better than 56% overall, and those 2 were reported only by one person each.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote