Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 25, 2018   #526
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Good idea, Thanks Al
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018   #527
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I use those bins as well. Especially if I need to buy some time. Not the best for
air flow but will protect in windy conditions. Most trouble with those is when I see
some watering right in the bin...bottom watering, but letting them sit in too much
water and get over watered and water logged.

Last year I had three bins on the floor in a south slider window waiting for good weather
to go outside. Easy in and out if weather shifted too cold.

This year it was a gorgeous weekend and long forecast is just looking better and better.
Hope it remains this way as all fruit trees are just budding.

This year I've had two winter indoor 'planter' boxes that are now outside on the bench
like last year. Here is one late March. It was full of tulips and muscari I forced for Easter.
And dwarf sunflowers. I just let the dwarf toms flop forward...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indoor winter planter.jpg (335.3 KB, 178 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #528
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Growing 8 different varieties from Dan. Just started setting out 7 wk. old plants into containers. Will follow up with in ground plantings in a couple days. These plants are all very sturdy and beginning to bud. More pictures to come as the season progresses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-05-13 16.10.12.jpg (495.2 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-05-13 16.11.31.jpg (450.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-05-13 16.12.10.jpg (434.7 KB, 161 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2018   #529
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Here is an update on 19X F5. A black, multi-flora cherry that grows about 18-20" (plus its flower stalks). It is a sweet, great tasting cherry with a good, mostly upright growth habit. The flower stalks are superfluous to me. I'm just after the toms. It was quite early. There are two plants each in 12" hanging baskets, and the fruit size has probably suffered a bit, but still very acceptable. These were seeded on 2-5 and gave the first ripe fruit on 5-26. So far, there is just one split fruit.

Dan, did you by any chance grow one of the F5 seeds I sent? What will happen if I lop off the flower stalks at the top of the plant? Probably heresy, but curious about your thoughts on this! What should happen if I leave them on -- a bunch of tiny fruit? KarenO, almost the same questions, but did you save and then plant the F4 seed that you sent me? Just curious how they did for you if you grew them.

This is an excellent variety, and looks from these 4 plants to be pretty stable. I see no significant differences in any of the four plants at this point. All grew perfectly indoors and went to the cold frame about May 8. We had a cold May, and these were not set out in the baskets until May 12. This is a definite keeper.

-Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19X F5 -1.jpg (413.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 19X F5 -2.jpg (409.7 KB, 128 views)
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018   #530
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

GreatG, I too am from IN. Yesterday I picked several toms from Dan's seeds started 1/15/2018.
51X F4 - 1 - 3 tasted very good but thick skinned and BER ( my fault- I forgot to add a bit of lime and epsom salts while planting to larger pot usually stopps BER for me but in the middle of winter it slipped my mind - probably trying to forget anything white

This 73X F2 MF Fuzzy Wuzzy has several ready to pick - also started 1/15/2018 but looks like it lost the Micro Gene? Grew it out for the fruit.

This 33X F4 will be a winter indoor plant for me once I see if it passes the taste test.

I do have a Fuzzy 73X F4 that has the Micro but is not MF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pick First 2018.jpg (243.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Fuzzy 73X F2.jpg (542.9 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Pork Chop 33X F4-1-4.jpg (440.6 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by tryno12; June 2, 2018 at 05:10 PM. Reason: 51X-F4 not F6
Old June 2, 2018   #531
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Picked these today from plants started 1/15/2018 planted out 5/10/2018
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Micro Tomatos.jpg (142.1 KB, 113 views)
Old June 3, 2018   #532
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Dan, did you by any chance grow one of the F5 seeds I sent? What will happen if I lop off the flower stalks at the top of the plant? Probably heresy, but curious about your thoughts on this! What should happen if I leave them on -- a bunch of tiny fruit? KarenO, almost the same questions, but did you save and then plant the F4 seed that you sent me? Just curious how they did for you if you grew them.
-Larry
I'm not sure if I planted any or not. I'm about a month behind this year. Don't have anything outside yet. I have more started than I'll be able to set out...... if I get them set out.

It looks like the basic plant stayed small then sent up a side-shoot that towers above the main stem. Some do that - most don't. I'm learning that sometimes the 'micro' isn't - at least at this stage of stabilization. You can always keep it micro with clippers (but I wouldn't save seed from it).

I'd cut off the towering side-shoot and force it to ripen the main stem fruit. I don't know the limit, but feel certain that a plant that tiny can't do justice to that many blossoms. I am learning that I haven't fertilized enough in the past. I'm continuing to increase how much I fertilize until I overdo it.

I don't have the answers, that's why I'm eager to send seeds to whoever will grow and report what they learn.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #533
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

put them in a proper pot or the ground and they will be 6 feet tall.
These are no micro, and even quite tall for any dwarf. pretty sure I was clear about the size of 3.5- 4 feet tall in a 3 gallon pot. It`s in a bigger pot this year and is about 4.5-5 feet tall and covered in blooms and fruit I cannot imagine why anyone who is growing tomatoes would remove blooms from a multiflora plant...
I call mine Molasses pictured here is my F5 plant. that òne in the basket is the same as this one, mine is bigger because it is in a bigger pot and growing since winter. I sent you F4 seeds of my tall dwarf selection, not F3 seeds, I was sent F3 seed I expected to be micro, some were.
This one was the only one I brought forward, selected instead of the micros in the batch because It tasted the best

KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F11BABBC-6A68-4BA9-9931-359E139423D2.jpg (588.8 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by KarenO; June 3, 2018 at 11:24 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2018   #534
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. Last year, I grew nine plants of the F4. Five went in the ground, and two went in regular EarthBoxes, and two from the ground went into EB Juniors as the only plants, and at least two went into these 12" baskets. They all grew well, but 8 of the 9 were prone to splitting. One in a basket was not, and it was the selection for F5. None of the plants got big, at least for the three months or so that I had them outside. The fruit was definitely larger in the bigger containers. Next season I'll put at least one of the F6 back in a large container and see what it does. I put them in baskets this season to save space, and also because they had stayed small last season. Big or small, it's really a good tasting tomato. I'll also dig back through this thread for my summary of last season to make sure my recollection is correct.

Last edited by Greatgardens; June 4, 2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old June 4, 2018   #535
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Here is a link to the description of the F4's that I grew. There are several posts on that page that pertain to 19X. I do remember aborting/transplanting the ones growing in soil. They were just not doing as well as the ones in containers. I do remember that 19X was described as not being a micro. And judging from the pic from last year, I should only have grown one per basket. I'll probably cull or transplant one of this year's plants. I'll also do a little experimenting with the flower stalks. Just an IMO, but I think they detract from the overall looks of the plant, but I'll leave a couple and see how they turn out.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ora#post662718

Last edited by Greatgardens; June 4, 2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old June 4, 2018   #536
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Rearranging my gh so here’s a better photo of the whole thing. It’s just June and still vigorously growing so I would expect it to get a fair bit bigger by season end which is October for me here It could certainly use a bigger pot but I just fertilize more instead to make up for it and keep it watered. Seems to enjoy being warm and is doing better in the GH than it did outside last year. (There are two plants in this pot which makes it look more full. I think it’s pretty attractive.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19BE50B1-3CAA-4510-B343-CCBEE4FE595C.jpg (657.8 KB, 88 views)
Old June 4, 2018   #537
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Duplicate post
Old June 4, 2018   #538
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

That is big!

I think I'll move one of mine tomorrow to a dedicated 7 gallon pot. When did you plant those (seeds)?

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; June 4, 2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old June 4, 2018   #539
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Greatgardens;702942]That is big!

I think I'll move one of mine tomorrow to a dedicated 7 gallon pot. When did you plant those (seeds
These have been growing since December ( hence the molasses moniker ) however to be fair for the first 3 months they were in very in poor light conditions indoors. Took off when they were put out in the gh in April. First ripe fruits about now.
Karen
Old June 4, 2018   #540
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Rearranging my gh so here’s a better photo of the whole thing. It’s just June and still vigorously growing so I would expect it to get a fair bit bigger by season end which is October for me here It could certainly use a bigger pot but I just fertilize more instead to make up for it and keep it watered. Seems to enjoy being warm and is doing better in the GH than it did outside last year. (There are two plants in this pot which makes it look more full. I think it’s pretty attractive.
KarenO
Impressive, Karen!

I need you or someone to teach me how to grow a plant that long inside and keep it looking as healthy as that one does. Mine eventually start to have issues - especially with the lower leaves. How much, how often and with what do you fertilize a plant in a pot like that?
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote