Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 13, 2018   #46
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
The clarified hydrophobic extract from Home Depot doesn't pack the full punch.

Cold pressed neem has a mix of azadirachtin and other triterpenoids-limonoids (the class of molecules), each with varying degrees of insecticidal activity. This table summarizes the effects well.

Attachment 81198

Table from this publication, a solid read:

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?scri...92000000400001

And this one too:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5061770/
Good information, although it only studied azadirachtin against insects.

Whole neem oil needs to be studied against just azadirachtin for various fungal/bacterial diseases. I suspect that the fact that the oil is physically in the form of an oil makes a difference to efficacy, in addition to the other compounds in it that you mention.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #47
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I have used yucca for spreader sticker. Used copper from gardens alive, seems to do a good job and goes long way, although I try to do infrequent applications. Depending on a year i could keep EB and septoria away for while with just actinovate, compost teas and microbe life product. My season is short so once I get large yield going plants start getting overtaken by either or both EB/septoria.
We rarely have other problems.
As for mildew, foliar application of kelp, fish, EM seems works just as good as potassium bicarb. Using mycos when planting does make a difference for my garden in how resilient my plants are.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #48
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Glad u dig it Marsha.
Gorbelly, I agree.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #49
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I guess that I should also include Serenade. Any proponents for it here?

-GG
I've used it for several years now and it works pretty well on a wide spectrum of plants if you maintain some kind of regular application schedule. I spray about every week or two. For sure it needs to be reapplied after it rains. I use the concentrate and the 32 oz bottle goes pretty far.

https://www.bayeradvanced.com/serenadegarden
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018   #50
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Have had good results this year, 2018, with mixing copper, S. Ag. and Mancozeb.1 table each to 1 gal of water.Has kept all disease manageable for first 2 months of season.Clemson U., here in South Carolina rates Maqncozeb as very good for Early Blight.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018   #51
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Hello! From Spain.
I use liquid copper oxychloride at 70%, I use half of what the manufacturer recommends, I had very severe septoria fungus and thanks to copper I managed to stop it, now I use it as a preventive every 7 or 10 days, the only inconvenience I see is that when falling to the flowers sometimes it does not curdle and dry, I have many tomato plants and it is almost impossible for them not to get copper in some flowers, I also use potassium soap every two weeks for the red spider and it is working well for me well to this day.

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018   #52
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Fontelis and Daconil. Fontelis is very expensive, but a lot of people in my area were hit hard with blight...one friend lost an estimated 500 plants...so we all started spraying Fontelis as recommended by our County Agent and it seemed to have slowed the blight down, or practically stopped it. I started early and only lost about 8 plants. I'll probably treat the ground with it again after I pull up all the plants this fall, disk it in, and re-treat a few weeks later, and again before I plant in 2019.