Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 17, 2014   #1
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Default Steelhead - Brandywine x Ananas Noir

I think this is a great cross (but I'm a bit biased ).
Steelhead is My Brandywine x Ananas Noir. It's named for one of my favorite fish - the awesome turbo-charged sea-run rainbow trout. Steelhead are a beautiful green with a big red stripe. Here's one from near my home in Idaho --

Here's the parents:

My Brandywine (good production version of Suddith's). Many years ago I had one particular Suddith's plant vastly out produce all the others, and it's stayed higher production through the years.

Ananas Noir, the classic, great tasting tricolor.

The original goal with this cross is a larger, meaty, PL with the Ananas Noir color scheme, high production and FLAVOR. Preferably the nice, balanced Brandywine type flavor.

Here's the F1 from last year --

It was RL and very, very productive.

Anyway, the F2 extravaganza was fun this year. I mostly saved the Potato Leaf's, because that's what I was after, but I did do a few RL's, and I'm glad I did.

Top to bottom, left to right : JL1, JL4, JL5, FY 2-1,
FY 1-2, FY 1-3, FY 1-4, FY 1-5, FY 1-6

JL3, JL4, JL7, JL8, JL6, JL10,
JL1, JL4, JL5, FY 2-1, JL12,
FY 1-2, FY 1-3, FY 1-4, FY 1-5, FY 1-6

FY 1-5. Basically exactly what I was hunting for. #3 in flavor (still very good, but could be deeper). Otherwise, very productive. Meaty, with a small blossom scar, and the color pattern is dead on. I'm going to do quite a few F3's from this one hunting for the one with perfect flavor (which I'm sure is out there).

FY 1-6 (ignore the miss-labeled one). The taste was there for sure (could be the best of all along with FY 1-3), the texture was perfect, and the RL plant was very productive. The second one I'll carry forward. I think the potential on this one is big. It begs a question - what's the likelihood I'll see a green/pink BC out of this? I guess the real question is, has anybody seen a red/yellow bicolor F2 seg out into a green/pink F3?

FY1-3. The earliest (though I wouldn't call it early, more of the early end of mid-season ). It's pinker than this photo makes it look. Tastes just like it's Brandywine mama. I'll probably do a 2 or 3 F3's from this one based on taste alone, but it could use a good home if anyone's looking to adopt. But it's not what I'm hunting here.

FY1-4

FY1-2. Very, Very productive, a real cage-bender. But a little late for my taste

FY 2-1. Pretty and sweet, but just sweet, and I want balance. Another one I'd love to find a home for.

JL11. The best of the "black" seg's. Good flavor, and on the early side, but most of the fruit were too irregularly shaped for my ideal.

I don't have an individual pic of it, but JL5 was also a very good bicolor, but it too was on the sweet side, without an acid balance, and I don't have room for it. Anybody who wanted to play with FY 2-1 would likely find some of these in their care package as well.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote