Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 17, 2016   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default 1 seed popped threw

Last wednesday I planted my tomato seeds in peat pods using a Jiffy green house.Had them upstairs in our warmest room.Just checked and saw 1 planted popped threw.It was my Amish Paste.Tomorrow I plan on moving them in the basement under my shop light with the lid removed.Last year was the first time I tried this and failed.I had everything in the basement where the temps are aroung 60 to 65 degrees.Upstairs where the seeds are now has to be around 75 to 80degrees.I'm hoping a few more pop threw by then.I have therapy for my knee that I had a knee replacement 4 weeks ago around 8AM.When I get home I'll move everything in the basement.I think things failed last year because the temps may have been to low and my lights were old shop lights I used years ago when I had aquariums with fish and live plants.I bought new daylight bulbs and have those ready for my seedlings.Does all this sound like I'm doing the right thing?Any suggestions are welcome.Thanks clp1953.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2016   #2
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

I personally would wait to take the lid off until I see more seedlings popping through. Is the lid wet and showing that the greenhouse is hot and wet enough to cover the inside of the lid with moisture?

You don't want to leave the lid on too long but that's after you get seedlings. Depending on varieties, age of seed, etc, etc, it can take 7-10 days or longer to get seedlings.

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2016   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

There is plenty on water beads and the lid is sealed.There is moisture that I can see on the plugs.I'm in no hurry and wanted advice such as yours.I can wait til I see more.There are 16 plugs.I can give it a week or 7 days.
Old April 18, 2016   #4
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Well this morning I checked and 14 peat pods out of 16 peat pods have tomato seedlings.I put all of them including the 2 that didn't under my shop lights in the basement.I hung foil over the lights to reflect the lights over the tray as it's wider than the shop light.Temperature in the basement is around 68 degrees.Going to give them 12 to 16 hours of light a day.Sounds right?
Old April 18, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

12 to 16 hours will be fine.
Glad to see they are sprouting.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #6
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
12 to 16 hours will be fine.
Glad to see they are sprouting.

Worth
Thanks Worth,last year I had them in the basement under old light bulbs that I had saved.I bought new daylight bulbs last spring after the plants failed so these are new.I checked the temperature and it's 68 degrees.I'll keep a eye on not letting them dry out.I have an small fan that I could have blowing on them from a distance,don't know if everyone does this.I also read that you can run your fingertips over the tops of the plants to promote thicker stems.
Old April 18, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just brush my hand across the tops several times a day like I was petting them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #8
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I just brush my hand across the tops several times a day like I was petting them.

Worth
Well no one can see me do this in my basement.Does sound kind of strange but who will know???
Old April 19, 2016   #9
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

What happens in the basement hopefully stays in the basement .. No one has to know.

Good to hear your seedlings popped through, good luck on the new season!

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #10
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

That's a good one!
Old April 19, 2016   #11
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

It's been 4 weeks that I had my knee replacement surgery,this is good therapy going up and down the steps to pet my plants!LOL!!!!
Old April 22, 2016   #12
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Well all the pods have seedlings in them.I put 2 seeds per pod and only 1 seed did not germinate.They all look strong,shame I have to thin them but don't want to risk damaging the roots separating them.I need to find a small fan to put on them,should have something around here.Thanks again for your support and advice.Hope they continue to grow.Very exciting to have grown your own plants and the ones you want.You just can't buy these types around here.

Last edited by cjp1953; April 22, 2016 at 07:10 AM. Reason: miss spelling.
Old April 22, 2016   #13
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I shared some of my seeds with a friend who has a very large garden.Like I said the local stores and garden centers around may carry Cherokee Purple and another Black Krim but that's it.Shame more Heirloom tomatoes are not offered.Thanks again for the seed offers and exchanges that go on here on this wonderfull forum.So many kind hearted people,glad I found Tomatoville!
Old April 24, 2016   #14
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Carl---Sounds like you had almost 100% germination success. Outstanding. You gotta be doing something right ! 68 deg. sounds like a good temp. to grow your seedlings. Keep up the good work !
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2016   #15
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all but 1 seed germinated,I bought a Jiffy 16 large peat pod greenhouse last winter and it has all you need.They are 10 days old and some are getting their second set of leaves.I hope they continue as last years seedlings failed I think because of old light bulbs I used.This year I replaced them with new daylight bulbs that I bought last spring and never used until this year.Thanks for the kind words.