Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 25, 2015   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Your choice of starting mix

I'm going to start my garden plants from seed this year and have never done this before.I plan on starting them in two weeks,what is your favorite starting soil mix?
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #2
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Fox Farms Light Warrior
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Black Gold seedling mix.
Old March 25, 2015   #4
HeatherT
BANNED

I am trying Diatomaceous Earth as a seed starting medium this year, was on another site and got a link to Tomatoville where you folks have an extensive thread on the topic.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22329 It is real easy to work with and cheap to boot.

Heather
HeatherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking for something that I could buy locally and avoid high shipping cost but again with no experience growing from seed I wanted a complete soil that need nothing but water with 6 weeks of growth before planting.I don't know if there is such a soil available.
Old March 25, 2015   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I get the Black Gold from my local garden center. Not sure what you mean by "complete" but seed starting mix won't have any fertilizer in it. When I bump my seedlings up to the bigger pot, I use a regular potting mix and begin to feed them. That's about the time they get two sets of true leaves.
Old March 25, 2015   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
I get the Black Gold from my local garden center. Not sure what you mean by "complete" but seed starting mix won't have any fertilizer in it. When I bump my seedlings up to the bigger pot, I use a regular potting mix and begin to feed them. That's about the time they get two sets of true leaves.
That's why I came here to you people,I was thinking of starting them in large plastic 12oz cups and put holes in the bottom.One plant per cup so I did not have to transplant.Did not know starting mixes did not contain fertilizer.
Old March 25, 2015   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, maybe someone who has tried that will chime in and tell you how it worked for them.

I start mine in 1.5 inch pots and then move them to 4 inch pots later. I want them deeper than I had them in the small pots because tomatoes root along the stem and the point of doing this is to build a stronger root system. If your seedlings look a bit leggy, repotting deep can help with that, as well.
Old March 25, 2015   #9
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I'm new to this and am grateful for your advice.When I plant I always bury 2/3rds of the plant for thicker stem tomato plants.
Old March 25, 2015   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

That's good. I plant deeply out in the garden, too. Just make sure your foliage isn't touching the ground.

A lot of people keep notes from season to season. You might want to write down the methods you're using this year, what when well, what you'd change. It will help you next year. After you get comfortable with what you want to do, then it's safe to invest in whatever materials you like, like my plastic pots for instance, and just use them over and over again, year after year. With gardening, there is the initial expense of your grow lights, tomato cages, whatever, but these things will usually last you a very long time. Enjoy!
Old March 25, 2015   #11
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I usually coco coir but this year i tried Root Zone peat plugs and man these things work amazing. They cost way to much As in 24.99 for 100 but so far these out preform any jiffy pellets, coco coir, or seed starting mix i have tried.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #12
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I have had good luck with Miracle-Gro or like products. Using starter mix has not been so good for me. I begin with 1 1/2 inch six pack pots and pot up to individual 2 or 3 inch containers. No problems with germination or die-off.
Old March 25, 2015   #13
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
I have had good luck with Miracle-Gro or like products. Using starter mix has not been so good for me. I begin with 1 1/2 inch six pack pots and pot up to individual 2 or 3 inch containers. No problems with germination or die-off.
Ditto. Except I transplant to 4" nursery pots. These hold about 20 oz
Karen O
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #14
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

I used Pro-Mix HP. So far, so good. I plan to use it in my transplant pots.

Dan
Old March 25, 2015   #15
kath
Tomatovillian™

I used to use ProMix BX but this year just picked up the cheap ($4.97) Organic Jiffy Mix at the local big box store. Started a few dwarfish tomato varieties in early Feb. and they've been potted up twice so far and now have flowers on them. Haven't fed them yet but they're sturdy and dark green.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote