Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 5, 2019   #1
tomgirletc
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedling foliage disease?

I'm planning on planting in root pouches in one week but looks like I might be in trouble already. I’m going out of town for 5 days so I need to know if I should get something sprayed on these kids ASAP and advice from the experts would be very much appreciated.

After hardening off, they have spent probably 6 days and nights outside full-time now. Two nights in a row, but not last night, I sprayed a soap type spray for aphids. It has been slightly chilly at night in the 50s. As you can see, I use DE medium until they go in their big containers with Pro-mix. I only bottom water. Use a splash of TTF in every watering, probably a little less than tablespoon to a gallon of water.

I’ve not had this problem with seedlings before, nor any very worrisome problems with seedlings at all until this problem. Looks like the type of crud I might see more on mature plants near the bottoms that I just clear out but doesn’t usually concern me with so much healthy plant up the main stem. I don’t want to take off leaves on babies unless I must and definitely need to know right away if I should buy copper or fungicide.

What do you all think?

tomgirletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2019   #2
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Do you have any pictures that show the problem?
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2019   #3
tomgirletc
Tomatovillian™

Ha!! I do! I saw them in the "preview" but they didn't show in the message. I'll get back to work on getting the pictures to show up.

Sorry folks!!
Old April 5, 2019   #4
tomgirletc
Tomatovillian™

Old April 5, 2019   #5
tomgirletc
Tomatovillian™

I put these images in a photo album here on TV. They might look slight better and easier to see what I'm on about there.

http://tomatoville.com/picture.php?p...496793&thumb=1

Old April 5, 2019   #6
tomgirletc
Tomatovillian™

Wish I could figure out how to post bigger pictures. I'm at a loss right now. I haven't needed to post photos here for a very long time.
Old April 5, 2019   #7
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I see your pictures in the first post fine. I'm not sure how to proceed with the issue.
Get rid of the lower leaves. You don't need those. Many 'crud' issues so early can be hard
to identify. I might go with copper and they need potting up soon.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2019   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I can't help with identifying the problem, other than perhaps something related to aphids. IMHO, better to remove any signs of bugs or disease, even on small seedlings. Plants will grow new leaves. This will not contribute to the overall well being of the plant, and may spread to healthy neighbors.
Good luck.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2019   #9
peebee
Tomatovillian™

All you need to do is remove those tiny bottom leaves that aren't true leaves; you're going to cover them with soil anyways when planting right?
Can't tell by the pics on the other 2, they look ok to me I've had worse looking ones and they did fine. Why don't you wait for more leaves to see if new ones look the same. Also I'd look closely on back of leaves for light green aphids like Lisa suggested. I live in the south bay about 40 min away and am noticing aphids on my plants. I think the recent rains changed things a bit here so I'm finding new things this year, interesting I'd go ahead and plant them all.
The temps you described had nothing to do with any perceived leaf problems. I've hardened mine off for weeks since Feb in the high 40s and they are the healthiest seedlings I've ever had. The cold and wind helped.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote