Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 2, 2016   #16
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This is the same thing that guy on Youtube said that has the channel growing your greens, John what ever his last name is.
He is a vegetarian.

Vegan slash vegetarian.
I dont consider anyone a strict vegan if they hurt any kind of animals or use animals for work.
I dont consider anyone a vegetarian if they consume any part of any animal including milk and cheese.
I consider any flesh from any animal to be meat.

The reason I am saying this is because I have had so many people tell me they dont eat meat and are vegetarians while they are eating milk cheese chicken and fish.
In other words there is no such thing as a strict vegetarian you either are or you aren't.

Worth.
In the PC world we live in there is a name for everything, so you have to use the correct word otherwise you are a racist. The correct terminology for what you described is lacto-ovo pescatarian.

I personally find it very profitable for drugs and supplement companies to promote veganism these day, it is profitable for sales of their products. You can deprive people of nutritious foods then sell them supplements to make more money. And it happened to be politically correct with the other on going trends right now, ie social justice, feminism, islam.

I'm not concerned with the meat contents in the poops, just all the other stuff that we flush down the drain. It's hard enough to get my family to not use those conventional dryer sheets that make horrible smell and give me a headache when I'm out in the garden.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
In the PC world we live in there is a name for everything, so you have to use the correct word otherwise you are a racist. The correct terminology for what you described is lacto-ovo pescatarian.

I personally find it very profitable for drugs and supplement companies to promote veganism these day, it is profitable for sales of their products. You can deprive people of nutritious foods then sell them supplements to make more money. And it happened to be politically correct with the other on going trends right now, ie social justice, feminism, islam.

I'm not concerned with the meat contents in the poops, just all the other stuff that we flush down the drain. It's hard enough to get my family to not use those conventional dryer sheets that make horrible smell and give me a headache when I'm out in the garden.

My neighbor lady uses those darn dryer sheets I cant stand them.
Then the is the over use of perfume I ran across a man in the store the other day that made my eyes water it was so bad.
(((lacto-ovo pescatarian.)))

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #18
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I rather like the !trends! (holy wow) of feminism and social justice myself. Interesting and possibly ironic that a thread about human sewage waste in compost has become a political topic. Walking a fine line here gentlemen as far as bending the rules of this site.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I rather like the !trends! (holy wow) of feminism and social justice myself. Interesting and possibly ironic that a thread about human sewage waste in compost has become a political topic. Walking a fine line here gentlemen as far as bending the rules of this site.
KO
I didn't say one darn thing about anything that was political or anything insulting to women or anyone else.
As far as I am concerned you can take that (((gentlemen))) off the post as that refers to plural which means more than one which I presume but I may be wrong refers to me.
The reason I even brought it up was many vegans and vegetarians wont use night soil from meat eaters in other words bio sludge.
Not only because of the meat consumed by the public but the chemicals that may or may not be in it.
One of which is the John guy on Youtube.
So yes I am on track.

Worth
Old September 2, 2016   #20
Compuaide
Tomatovillian™

I grabbed some of the free composted yard waste my municipality was giving away a few years ago to add to a very dense clay yard I ended up with after having my leech fields redone. The contractor did a horrible job of saving the topsoil but 10 years later the septic is working fine.

I tilled a few pickup truck loads of that black stuff into the yard and planted grass seeds. Parts of that 1/2 acre didn't grow for 2 years. Not even weeds. My guess is herbicides.

Herbicides won't compost out. Leeching them into the subsoil with 2 years worth of rains seems to have been my answer. Everything is growing now and I am mowing like crazy (why do I fertilize?).

Worth, on those dryer sheets..... I am good with the fragrance of the Bounce sheets. I bought a box of them when they were on sale at the local supermarket and threw the box under the front seat of the car as a long-term air freshener of sorts. 2 summers later, the sheets have welded themselves together and I have a brick of softener stink in a box.

You can not separate the sheets at all. I am not going to do that again. What must be in there that the heat inside a car ( has to be a bit less than the heat of a dryer) welds them together?

Just another life's lesson.

Ralph
Compuaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #21
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
KO

Trends aside, politics and poop may be extremely closely related, no mtter the country, party or any other defining term.

Both can and frequently do stink to high heaven, but mostly, with poops, you can get something useful after enough time goes by!!!

Just lightening it up a bit. No offense to the real poop meant.

Kind of like water- when the drought was so incredibly back- less than 18% drinking water left in the lakes, people were all upset about recycling what was essentially pea water- after it had been through all sorts of processes. Hate to tell them, all water probably has been urine at some point in time.<grin>

Edit:

Must have been luckier around here, all those loads of compost we put in both the front and back, no problems ever. And we were getting 2 to 3 PU loads each time- raised both yard levels by about 4 to 6 inches still, after years of that. Sometimes, after getting to the middle parts of those huge heaps, smelled a bit ....funky, not poopy, just darn ripe!, but sure was good for the property.

Last edited by imp; September 2, 2016 at 09:59 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Imp which bio solid to vote for? lmao

I don't use a bio solid for gardening in the way this thread is about. However, I do add broken up chunks of old bread to our compost bin. It isn't for the bread to compost though. I put the bread in there to watch the cardinals feed on it. They're beautiful birds who leave lots of fertilizer while eating the bread. A good exchange if you ask me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #23
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Imp which bio solid to vote for? lmao

I don't use a bio solid for gardening in the way this thread is about. However, I do add broken up chunks of old bread to our compost bin. It isn't for the bread to compost though. I put the bread in there to watch the cardinals feed on it. They're beautiful birds who leave lots of fertilizer while eating the bread. A good exchange if you ask me.

Love it- you get to admire the beauty and get the end results too! Smart fella!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #24
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quite frankly... I would NEVER use it. Gross to high heaven and back. Do you know for a certainty that those who contributed their solids were healthy? not on medications for chronic conditions? Any of those meds will be excreted in the liquid or solid form... I don't use medications other than occasional over the counter pain relief and I have no need for it as a by product in my home grown food. I don't want to eat heart meds, blood pressure meds chemo meds etc... do you? This is a study about aquatics but using the bio solids would still be contaminated and contaminating our soil and food supply. IMHO...
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsle...s-in-the-water
Old September 3, 2016   #25
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
My neighbor lady uses those darn dryer sheets I cant stand them.
Then the is the over use of perfume I ran across a man in the store the other day that made my eyes water it was so bad.
(((lacto-ovo pescatarian.)))

Worth
Worth, I am right there with you... gag! gag! gag!. last night my dear husband washed his hands with the soap downstairs and then put his hand on my shoulder... I made him go find a different bar of soap and rewash. Kirks Castile Soap is my best friend!
Old September 3, 2016   #26
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My uncle is about to retire from the local sewage treatment plant. He says the sludge is loaded with heavy metals and prescription drug residues, especially hormones from birth control pills.

He also said they get cherry tomatoes growing everywhere that the stuff has been spilled
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #27
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
He also said they get cherry tomatoes growing everywhere that the stuff has been spilled
There's a new, magic, market variety: Poo Poppers™.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My uncle is about to retire from the local sewage treatment plant. He says the sludge is loaded with heavy metals and prescription drug residues, especially hormones from birth control pills.

Two of my friends worked at the sewer plant so I do know a little about what goes on at one.
You are right.
We had the keys to the gate and the place they spread out the left over sludge and plowed it in was where we went deer hunting.
There was no smell at all.
We could go from our house to this place in about 10 minutes be there for maybe one hour and get back to our house with 3 deer.
Cheap hunting all it cost was our permit and me hand loading rounds.
Maybe $40 between the both of us for freezers full of meat.
Worth
Old September 3, 2016   #29
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Assuming that there are heavy metals in the compost, is it an issue? I was under the impression that fruiting plants such as tomatoes don't take up the metals.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2016   #30
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

They don't, but I still think you don't want to be around the stuff. I wouldn't want to breathe the dust from it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote