Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 4, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Aunt Lou's Underground Railroad

This is my first year growing it. Has anybody else grown it, or growing it now? I was wondering what it was like and if you liked it or not and what it tasted like.

Also I was wondering, are the stems supposed to grow all over the place. I had tried staking it for it to grow up straight , but it likes to zig zag its branches. Wondered if this was normal.

Of all the plants I have this one is constantly covered in them tiny black flea beetles. I don't mean one or two, I mean loads and clusters of them on it. You can hardly tell there was a leaf for all the tiny holes in them. Is it because it is an older heirloom or is there something abotu the plant that attracts them flea beetles to it.

I squished and squished, but for the first time this season I am actually having to spray a tomato plant for them.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
This is my first year growing it. Has anybody else grown it, or growing it now? I was wondering what it was like and if you liked it or not and what it tasted like.

Also I was wondering, are the stems supposed to grow all over the place. I had tried staking it for it to grow up straight , but it likes to zig zag its branches. Wondered if this was normal.

Of all the plants I have this one is constantly covered in them tiny black flea beetles. I don't mean one or two, I mean loads and clusters of them on it. You can hardly tell there was a leaf for all the tiny holes in them. Is it because it is an older heirloom or is there something abotu the plant that attracts them flea beetles to it.

I squished and squished, but for the first time this season I am actually having to spray a tomato plant for them.
I grew it last year. In my garden the taste was 5.5/10. Got plenty of disease too. I don't have flea beetles. Yes it did sprawl and zig zag, production of fruit was meciocre.
Varieties can vary vastly from one set of growing conditions to another, so you might get better results. Recall that I have to grow in the winter here, lots of cool nights in the upper 50s in Dec. and January.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Yes, I grew it, my seeds from Gary Millwood, look for his name in the link below, and just mentioning that Gary was a wonderful person and he passed away a few years ago.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...round_Railroad

Notice that no one has commented on it at Tania's page, no pictures, and I guess I can and will say that there are perhaps several hundreds of other varieties I'd grow before I'd grow it again, based on taste and productivity, disease tolerances no, since where I am there are no serious problems with soil borne diseases, just foliage diseases and the latter is a problem for all varieties where I was and am now,

Carolyn
Old June 4, 2015   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I grew it last year. In my garden the taste was 5.5/10. Got plenty of disease too. I don't have flea beetles. Yes it did sprawl and zig zag, production of fruit was meciocre.
Varieties can vary vastly from one set of growing conditions to another, so you might get better results. Recall that I have to grow in the winter here, lots of cool nights in the upper 50s in Dec. and January.
Oh.Oh! Gonna be long time before we see 50s at night here again. Thanks for your opinion and about its growth habit. I'll quit trying to straighten it out. Maybe I can find a shady spot for it and keep it going til temps cool in a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes, I grew it, my seeds from Gary Millwood, look for his name in the link below, and just mentioning that Gary was a wonderful person and he passed away a few years ago.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...round_Railroad

Notice that no one has commented on it at Tania's page, no pictures, and I guess I can and will say that there are perhaps several hundreds of other varieties I'd grow before I'd grow it again, based on taste and productivity, disease tolerances no, since where I am there are no serious problems with soil borne diseases, just foliage diseases and the latter is a problem for all varieties where I was and am now,

Carolyn
It was from what I read over at Tania's site about it that got me interested in growing it. Other than the history, like you said I really didn't find any information about it, so I was hoping somebody here could tell me about it. I just love those heirlooms with a history.
Always sad when the good folks pass on. Thankfully they have left their knowledge and experiences for us folks and those of the future. So take good care of yourself. Your needed to teach us.
Old June 4, 2015   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Aunt Lou several years. My sister-in-law is Lou, so Aunt Lou was for her. The seeds were from Blue Ribbon Seeds. We enjoyed the flavor and production and experienced no disease problems. I will be growing it again sometime.
Old June 5, 2015   #6
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
I have grown Aunt Lou several years. My sister-in-law is Lou, so Aunt Lou was for her. The seeds were from Blue Ribbon Seeds. We enjoyed the flavor and production and experienced no disease problems. I will be growing it again sometime.
Thanks Paul. Smiling over having to have a tomato named for your SIL. I had to get me a Ella's Pink Plum just because of the name too.

If it wasn't for the flea bettles, so far the foliage is looking good. Guess I am going to have to keep a close eye on this one.

I just hope I can get at least one tomato to taste.
Old June 5, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Other than the history, like you said I really didn't find any information about it, so I was hoping somebody here could tell me about it. I just love those heirlooms with a history.

&&&&&&

I love interesting histories myself and have done a lot of sleuthing to get details for histories.

But it's good to remember that a great history does not always a great tomato variety make.

Carolyn
Old June 6, 2015   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Other than the history, like you said I really didn't find any information about it, so I was hoping somebody here could tell me about it. I just love those heirlooms with a history.

&&&&&&

I love interesting histories myself and have done a lot of sleuthing to get details for histories.

But it's good to remember that a great history does not always a great tomato variety make.

Carolyn
True, but can you imagine the look on some people's faces when you say I ate a 1910 tomato. I am surprised at the number of folks who actually think it was a real tomato from that time. But it is a good way for opening discussion about heirlooms.
Old June 7, 2015   #9
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Smiling over having to have a tomato named for your SIL. I had to get me a Ella's Pink Plum just because of the name too.
A few years ago I sent my son and his family a batch of tomato seeds that had names with Mom, Dad, Sisters, etc. It was a heck of a lot of fun finding them even though it took weeks of searching. I think the one I got the biggest kick out of was "Boy Boy" because they have two sons. I couldn't find individual names except for Grandma Mary and Gregory something(don't think it was Altai)for the DIL's folks.

My main resource was Tania's database.

Last edited by noinwi; June 7, 2015 at 12:44 AM. Reason: addition
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

How about one called melancholy sunrise.
That should get some people looking.
It is how I feel in July when the temps are in the 100's here.
I really dont want to see the sun come up.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #11
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Worth
Thats too funny!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #12
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by noinwi View Post
A few years ago I sent my son and his family a batch of tomato seeds that had names with Mom, Dad, Sisters, etc. It was a heck of a lot of fun finding them even though it took weeks of searching. I think the one I got the biggest kick out of was "Boy Boy" because they have two sons. I couldn't find individual names except for Grandma Mary and Gregory something(don't think it was Altai)for the DIL's folks.

My main resource was Tania's database.
What a neat gift to send. Something different and unusual and something good to eat too. 'Boy Boy' now that was clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Worth
Great name for a tomato. Forget July, heats already here. Ugggggggg was 97 at 6 pm last night without heat index.

I guess it is because of where I am I sell alot of Texas Star, Rebel Yell and Abe Lincoln seedlings. I have had several folks ask me if there are any more tomatoes named after Presidents. I need to find out.

I tripped several folks out at market this week when I asked them what color tomato they wanted. Seems lots of folks don't realize there are black colored tomatoes.

One confused gentleman said just give me a red one and he ended up with Large Barred Boar. He sure is going to be surprised because it is nothing like the Early Girl's he has been growing. Hopefully he will like it.
Old June 7, 2015   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What a neat gift to send. Something different and unusual and something good to eat too. 'Boy Boy' now that was clever.

Great name for a tomato. Forget July, heats already here. Ugggggggg was 97 at 6 pm last night without heat index.

I guess it is because of where I am I sell alot of Texas Star, Rebel Yell and Abe Lincoln seedlings. I have had several folks ask me if there are any more tomatoes named after Presidents. I need to find out.

I tripped several folks out at market this week when I asked them what color tomato they wanted. Seems lots of folks don't realize there are black colored tomatoes.

One confused gentleman said just give me a red one and he ended up with Large Barred Boar. He sure is going to be surprised because it is nothing like the Early Girl's he has been growing. Hopefully he will like it.
Yes, there are many named after presidents, their wives and even sons and in one case a daughter.

HEre's one that I'll always remember and here's why. Yes, I had a lot of leftover tomato plants that summer, the summer that a wonderful African American lady was helping to care for my mother, I asked her if she wanted any of the seedlings, and she did. So I got a box and put several of them in it and gave it to her.

Only later did I realize that there was one variety that I put in there that probably wasn't the best of choices.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Jeff_Davis

Jefferson Davis was the President of the Confederacy during the Civil war but there are many others such as:

Alice Roosevelt
Abraham Lincoln
President Garfield

and more

Carolyn
Old June 7, 2015   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, there are many named after presidents, their wives and even sons and in one case a daughter.

HEre's one that I'll always remember and here's why. Yes, I had a lot of leftover tomato plants that summer, the summer that a wonderful African American lady was helping to care for my mother, I asked her if she wanted any of the seedlings, and she did. So I got a box and put several of them in it and gave it to her.

Only later did I realize that there was one variety that I put in there that probably wasn't the best of choices.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Jeff_Davis

Jefferson Davis was the President of the Confederacy during the Civil war but there are many others such as:

Alice Roosevelt
Abraham Lincoln
President Garfield

and more

Carolyn
Neat! I may just have to see about gathering a list of names. You got me started and then I'll start gathering the seed. Might be interesting to have a special collection.
Old June 7, 2015   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Neat! I may just have to see about gathering a list of names. You got me started and then I'll start gathering the seed. Might be interesting to have a special collection.
Lots of people do special collections from growing varieties from a single country, to getting seeds that have as part of the name that's the same as someone in extended family, to getting seeds that have as part of the name some place or whatever in the state where they live. And more.

Knowing that there's a variety named Mark Twain I once gave a few seconds thought to finding varieties of great humorists, but never did that.

Carolyn