Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 21, 2019   #16
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilsniffer View Post
>> Not sure whether you grow organic or not but they found Roundup in 19 put of 20 beers tested.

>> If they tested more things like bread, flour, rice, vegatables (fresh and canned), fruit... Pretty much anything edible, 90% would test positive.

Careful! That sounds like evidence that evil Monsanto may very well be correct when they say Roundup becomes inert and harmless after three days.
You're point? I don't get it...

Last edited by pmcgrady; March 21, 2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: I give up...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2019   #17
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Monsanto also says that Roundup doesn't accumulate in organs in the human body, but it is found in chicken eggs. Doesn't that blow their whole scientific theory up?
Roundup is found in chicken eggs. Therefore, Roundup accumulates in organs in the human body. Sigh. What scientific theory uses that kind of 'logic'?

>> Anyway the second case is now being tried and Monsanto appears to be losing again.

Monsanto's claim is that Roundup breaks down in three DAYS. Both cases you mentioned, deals with guys getting soaked with Roundup after three SECONDS.
Old March 22, 2019   #18
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilsniffer View Post
Roundup is found in chicken eggs. Therefore, Roundup accumulates in organs in the human body. Sigh. What scientific theory uses that kind of 'logic'?

>> Anyway the second case is now being tried and Monsanto appears to be losing again.

Monsanto's claim is that Roundup breaks down in three DAYS. Both cases you mentioned, deals with guys getting soaked with Roundup after three SECONDS.

The reason I asked the question was to hopefully get an answer. All I got was another question.

I am not an embryologist so I am not sure but I would think using common sense that in order to pass any nutrients or residues to the egg it would first have to be stored in the organs.

Don't have time to do the proper research but found this.

"The chicken has a short digestive tract and can rapidly assimilate dietary nutrients … Fat-soluble vitamins in the diet are readily transferred to the liver and then the egg yolk. Egg-nutrient levels are responsive to dietary change … Other research has demonstrated that all the fat-soluble vitamins, including A and E, and the unsaturated fats, linoleic and linolenic acids, are egg responsive, and that hen diet has a marked influence on the egg concentration."

Please enlighten me with the facts because I really am curious
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #19
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
The reason I asked the question was to hopefully get an answer. All I got was another question.

I am not an embryologist so I am not sure but I would think using common sense that in order to pass any nutrients or residues to the egg it would first have to be stored in the organs.

Don't have time to do the proper research but found this.

"The chicken has a short digestive tract and can rapidly assimilate dietary nutrients … Fat-soluble vitamins in the diet are readily transferred to the liver and then the egg yolk. Egg-nutrient levels are responsive to dietary change … Other research has demonstrated that all the fat-soluble vitamins, including A and E, and the unsaturated fats, linoleic and linolenic acids, are egg responsive, and that hen diet has a marked influence on the egg concentration."

Please enlighten me with the facts because I really am curious
People are rather jumpy when it comes to Monsanto. Put aside politics and gardening preferences for one second, if it's only about science, it's actually possible to reconcile both possibilities.

Chemical/element uptake is highly variable depending on the organism. Just because a compound can accumulate in a chicken doesn't mean it can in human (to a deletrious effect I mean), in a scenario where both are provided the same vegetative feed. You'd have to check with a embryologist, maybe someone in internal medicine familiar with bioacculmulation research to know for sure.

If your homework, it's been well established that chemically, the human body is too stupid to identify the difference between sprayed organic BT and the organic BT compound from GMO-corn products. When it comes to digestion, there's nothing scientific that has even remotely suggested BT-corn is unsafe. Now there are other valid concerns with BT-corn, but that's a completely separate debate.

Last edited by Scooty; March 26, 2019 at 09:32 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #20
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
People are rather jumpy when it comes to Monsanto. Put aside politics and gardening preferences for one second, if it's only about science, it's actually possible to reconcile both possibilities.

Chemical/element uptake is highly variable depending on the organism. Just because a compound can accumulate in a chicken doesn't mean it can in human (to a deletrious effect I mean), in a scenario where both are provided the same vegetative feed. You'd have to check with a embryologist, maybe someone in internal medicine familiar with bioacculmulation research to know for sure.

If your homework, it's been well established that chemically, the human body is too stupid to identify the difference between sprayed organic BT and the organic BT compound from GMO-corn products. When it comes to digestion, there's nothing scientific that has even remotely suggested BT-corn is unsafe. Now there are other valid concerns with BT-corn, but that's a completely separate debate.

I really hope Monsanto is right and there are no health concerns with Roundup residues in the food system for the the sake of all of us. Count me as skeptical.

I have given up bread for white Corn Tortillas and now eating organic oatmeal among other things to cut back on my exposure to Roundup.

Monsanto has been poisoning the planet and lying about it for close to 100 years I think.I just don't trust them with good reason.

Los Angeles County Bans Use of Roundup Weed Killer

Looks like the beginning of the end for Roundup anyway.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...er?context=amp
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019   #21
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Update- I decided not to use the spent Brewery grains and have decided to add Liberal amounts of mushroom compost and Alpaca poo. The mushroom compost has been spread about 4-6" deep in the garden and this evening am picking up 2 55gal drums of Alpaca poo. Once scattered I will till it all in about 6" deep and he ready to plant in about 10 days.

I found a guy about 10 minutes away who raises Alpaca and currently has 12 animals. He said his whole raised beds are 100% Alpaca poo and he said he gets excellent results. I don't plan on going that extreme, but it's nice to find a local source as a yearly amendment.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote