Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 20, 2007   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default Help?

Sorry about this post, but this computer unsavvy old guy would like to put a few photos on threads every once in a while. I just can't seem to be able to get it done. I have a new iMac OSX and need one of my forum friends to walk me through in plain language how to get a photo on a post. I understand some of the lingo but not much. I have lots of photos on iPhoto, I do have a digital Canon Power Shot A540 and should be able to get pictures from there to here. Man, I hate being so technology deficient.
Old February 20, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

iPhoto is a program on his computer.

I don't think the IMG tag is going to work.

He needs to upload the photos somewhere, like a .Mac account.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2007   #3
MawkHawk
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Paul. I don't know anything about Macs, but this is how many MS Windows users do it:

Go to www.photobucket.com and sign up for a free account.

Create a sub-album called "Paul's Garden" or something like that.

Upload your pics to your Photobucket album.

Beneath each pic will be 3 fields called "URL", "HTML" and "IMG".

To embed a pic in a Tomatoville post, first highlight the text in the "IMG" field of the pic that you want to post, copy the text (on Windows this is CTRL/C or click Edit->Copy from the Explorer menu), next start the TV post, click the "Img" button that is below the Subject line, paste the text that you copied from the pic's "IMG" field, press the "IMG" button again. That's it.

To post a link to the pic, follow the same procedure but copy and paste the "URL" field instead of the "IMG" field, and press the "URL" button in your post instead of the "IMG" button.

Hope this helps.
Old February 21, 2007   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the assistance. I will try the photobucket tonight. I hope the photos won't crack any screens.
Old February 21, 2007   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Photobucket works just fine with Macs, too.

One thing, if all your pics are on iPhoto, you may want to pull copies of the selected thumbnails across onto the desktop for uploading to Photobucket. They will be easier to find then browsing through your Pictures (not iPhoto) directory.

Just follow the easy instructions, Photobucket will even re-size your pictures to one of selected sizes good for message boards or emailing. The 640x480 size is good for most message boards.

When adding a picture to your text, just copy the IMG code tag option below the picture and paste it into your text. (If you post on different format message boards such as GardenWeb, you might have to use the HTML tag version instead.)

Do a preview before posting to make sure it copied correctly, sometimes I lose a beginning or end bracket [ ] if I get sloppy when I mark to copy. Have fun!
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2007   #6
MawkHawk
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Paul! ddsack is correct in stating that if you copy the text in the Photobucket "IMG Code" field and paste it into your post, you don't have to press the "Img" button that is below the Subject line. If you do, it'll come out like this with the extra "img" ahead and behind the pic:

[img][/img]

So I was close, but not exactly right....

(Lucky Cross, 2006, seeds from Craig. Left is just picked. Right is after a couple days on the counter.)