Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 1, 2007   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Wilts, but not TSWV - HELP!

Hi

Never had this before or anything like it. I posted this stuff in my eggplant thread and have posted it here for the prognosis...

First the good news... Pink Long (Tung) as it was sent to me has produced my firsty ripe eggplant. I had to fashion a twig stand to allow it to grow as it hit the mulch in the pot which is suitably aubergine coloured

I'm adding this to the pasta tonight, along with homegrown tomatoes, basil and sweet and medium peppers...

Now the bad news. My prized Pink Long Tung, the best of the three I have growing, got the wilts about three or four days ago and it's not looking good. Note my aubergine-coloured tee shirt. Fitting indeed...

I removed the mulch, tried to dry the soil in case it's been swamped (good draining pots, though), but I suspect the pot is housing big fat curl grubs.

Not that I'm certain of that. Could be a wilt thing... ideas?

Reason I say that it could be a wilt virus thing is that one of my prized tomatoes, GMG Red Large (seed returned) has just gone the same way...

Strangely, both eggplants and tomato have, at this stage, a few okay limps or growing tips among the wilting.

Hope it doesn't spread.

Meantime, back to the kitchen

Best, Grub.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Grub, I can't really tell from the pictures.

What do those plants look like now? Any yellowing? Do the plants seem to recover at night only to wilt again the next day?

To find out if it's a bacterial wilt, take a stem and put in a glass of water like explained in the link below. I don't think it looks like bacterial wilt, though.

http://www.plant.uga.edu/Extension/p...nbactwilt.html

Also have a look at this discussion of fusarium and verticillium wilts - reading through it and comparing specifics with what you can see on the plants might help you narrow it down.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3122.html
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Suze.

Another eggies has the wilts at the top. It's a definitely one so those wilts that you posted, as I chopped one and it had those brown areas in the stem.

Luckily, both eggies are in pots, so the tomatoes should be alright. The tomato that wilted in the above post came good. One peppers in a pot is dodgy.

Just goes to show bags of commerical potting mix can house bad stuff.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote