Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 26, 2014   #91
bower
Tomatovillian™

I was happy to see 55 F in the greenhouse today, very nice for the leeks and turnips and white lisbons and bok choy. Some mizuna and spicy mustard greens have come back from the frozen soil conditions, and even a couple of lettuce plants, to my surprise.
I should put the parsley out too, it's not getting enough light and starting to look like 'var repens'... yes the infamous 'creeping' varieties which are typical indoors in a not so sunny place.
Had a munch of my first bush bean yesterday - they are not Pencil Pod Black Wax at all, I must have mixed up my labels. It's a green bean, and the plant has red speckled stems and violet flowers. Very pretty and a good tasting bean with nice crunch. Could this be Fin de Bagnol? I seeded a couple but thought they didn't germinate. In any case, delighted to grow my first 'late winter bush bean' indoors...success!

Had 20 cm snow to shovel yesterday, and another storm forecast for tonight, they're calling it a 'weather bomb' and is set to deliver 10-15 cm snow and ice pellets, followed by 5-10 mm rain, and winds gusting to 140 km/h which is bad news even by local standards. Yeah... can't wait for spring.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #92
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Northern Zone Pushers: watcha doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
What do you do to prime your spinach seeds? Just give them a soak?

A good one day soak, a day of drying out, and a week in cool storage. I found the info here -- http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=174

I've never had good luck with spinach germination, so I figured it was worth a shot. They went into DE on Sunday and the watching and waiting has begun.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2014   #93
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Great link, thanks for sharing. I've also had the issues with spotty germination, so I'm going to give this a try. The article doesn't say how cool the cool storage period should be--how cool do you store for that week?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2014   #94
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Great link, thanks for sharing. I've also had the issues with spotty germination, so I'm going to give this a try. The article doesn't say how cool the cool storage period should be--how cool do you store for that week?

We have a closet with two outside walls and in the winter the temp inside it hangs out in the low to mid 50's, so that's where I put them. I just checked this morning and I see signs of sprouting in five cells!
Old March 27, 2014   #95
Kevin1962
Tomatovillian™

Well, I was supposed to get started planting this past weekend, but had to put it on hold so I could build an new enclosure within our hen house for a new LGD pup. So, tomato seeds, pepper seed and everything else will be planted this weekend!
Old March 27, 2014   #96
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Default Bean Bag Dandruff

You know that stuff that used to get all over the house when the bean bag chair sprung a leak? That's what was falling from the sky this am. nano-snow balls.

We were supposed to hit a high of 50. Instead we have 40 at 1pm and 30mph gusts. I'll take it I suppose, its not freezing! Though nothing is melting.

The tomatoes have exploded in growth since transplantation they are doing great.

Replanting : spinach, amarynth and malobar spinach and cilantro due to 0% sprouting.

The empty pop-up green house tried to blow away last night. I retrieved it, put it back together and have the usual more tolerant of cold than other things sitting in their today, just to get them some light. They are not stretching but are also not growing, we need some HEAT!

I bought some mini-purple potatoes from the store yesterday that were delicious, so I went back and bought some more to sprout in case my seeds don't get there. They are sprout but smaller than the size of a pencil eraser still, after several weeks.

If I squint, I think a might see a wee bit of green tinge to the deader than I have ever seen it looking lawn. HOPE?

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #97
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Just had a honey bee land on my office window!! Spring must be somewhere close by...
Old March 28, 2014   #98
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Just had a honey bee land on my office window!! Spring must be somewhere close by...
Holy cow.. that is like news from Noah's ark! Land ho!
Old March 28, 2014   #99
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have a hive next to my greenhouse and had to run from an aggressive bee once today already. My first little seedlings have been going into 6-packs today.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #100
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

The deed has been done! Planted tomato seeds today--with final number of plants--mainly for me a couple for others: 8 Sungold (3 plants), 4 Golden Monarch (1 plant), 5 Purple Bumblebee (2 plants), 5 Wisconsin 55 (2 plants), 6 Celebrity (2 plants), 5 Purple Haze (2 plants), 5 Lucky Swirl (2 plants), and 5 Black Krim (1 plant).

Let spring begin!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #101
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Amen to that. I am a month behind, but happy to have at least something going:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...psec5fdd45.jpg

Kohlrabi, basil, cilantro, parsley, lettuce, cabbage, eggplant, and bell peppers are what is in that picture. The rest are tomatoes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #102
jakebb
Tomatovillian™

Got up to 70 yesterday, but been snowing off and on all day today. The weather can't seem to decide if it is late winter or early spring. Soil hasn't had the chance to re-thaw since the topsoil thawed and then froze again. I think I'll thin my seedlings soon. I had to raise one of my lights for the taller seedlings, some of them were touching the bulbs.
jakebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #103
bower
Tomatovillian™

The sun shone and it was 90 in the shade in my greenhouse today. Outside the crust on the last storm's snow is the kind so hard you can drive over it without leaving a track. No bees out there for sure. I haven't heard a snipe yet, but then I haven't been outdoors unless I had to be. This time of year, the sound of snipe at dusk is a sign of spring right around the equinox, usually even in a cold year.

I have a couple of trees/herbs in the greenhouse that are normally out by this time of year. The Siberian Ginseng is about to burst into leaf, but the Eucommia and Ginkgo are not showing any sign. Hope they made it, and are just late.
Old March 29, 2014   #104
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Its a sign!
Old March 29, 2014   #105
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Our ten day forecast, while not quite exciting has made some progress. Not a single night below freezing in the forecast for the next ten days, oh its close, mostly 33 and 34's but nothing less! Days are looking like mid-40's except for this weekend. Today is 45 but tomorrow and the next day might tap 60!

That means despite the squish in the soil and the nip in the breeze, hard core work outside the next couple of days.

Pond de-icing, deleafing and water circulation start <--the way things look, I might not get much beyond this, but I remain optimistic. If time allows...

Winter clean up
Mulch pull back on the first beds (if thawed enough) to get the soil warming.
Clean out of all the self watering containers and prep for planting!

I also want to transplant 4 tomato plants that are dragging behind their siblings to see if I can perk them up.

Stacy