Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2014   #76
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodak View Post
For the plants that will go under Walls of Water in either raised beds or 25 gallon Smart Pots. In about six or seven weeks.
Sun Gold
Bloody Butcher
Rozovyi Myod aka Pink Honey
Native Sun
Gary'O Sena
Lucky Cross
at least 50% germination on all.
Happy!
Old March 21, 2014   #77
jakebb
Tomatovillian™

Seeded the four tomato varieties I ended up with on Sunday. When thinned it will (hopefully) amount to 6 sungold, 4 brandy boy, 4 black krim, and 4 big rainbow. Almost every sungold seed has sprouted and they all look very lively. Everything but the big rainbow look to have sprouted at least a few so far.
Seeded my five pepper varieties yesterday. I think they were: Hot Hungarian wax (not sure why I decided on this one), Early Jalapeno, Pepperoncini, and a couple sweet peppers.
No progress on the raised beds, and doesn't look like I'll be making any anytime soon. It's cold but definitely spring and spring means spring rains, so it's anyone's guess when the soil will be workable.
jakebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #78
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Low of 21 tonight for me, 20 tomorrow night. I have several flats of new sprouts on top of my heated plywood box. I set a kiddie pool up side down on top of them and covered everything with a couple of painter's plastic drop cloths. I am hoping it will be ok.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #79
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Northern Zone Pushers: watcha doing?

Today was a busy day --

Planted 40 primed spinach seeds.

Potted up 12 sweet peppers.

Started 80 tomato seeds.

I'm a week later than normal with the tomato seeds, but this weather has got me wondering if I'll be able to get them out by Memorial Day. They're talking snow again for Tuesday into Wednesday--just when my raised beds are finally free of their winter blanket!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #80
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

ARRRGH. Snow again for us on Tuesday too. In fact this entire week is forecast to have highs in the upper 30's. It is reallly starting to get to people now. Around here people are starting to be ANGRY about the weather. I've noticed too, that we are not reaching our forecast highs on a lot of the days have supposed to be warmer. They forecast 50, it reaches 43.

This Sunday in the long range looks like it could be a turning point. The entire forecast after that is 55 or higher, so even accounting for not quite reaching that, its a whole lot better than tonights 19 degrees.

This weekend I:
-Continued hardening off the Kale, Onions, Broccoli, raddishes and lettuce and parsley and celery in the pop up greenhouse. They high was 32 outside but it was 50 in the little greenhouse so they did OK.

-Potted up most of the tomotes and the borage.

-Replanted Forest Fire (tomato). The seedling was acting stunted and wimpy. I plucked it out and started new seeds.

I now have no room under the lights and have started having to rotate things daily. really really really need temps to increase outside!

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #81
bower
Tomatovillian™

Another major snowstorm is just beginning here this morning, and looks like it will carry on with flurries and blowing snow tomorrow. There's rain and more seasonal temperatures forecast for the weekend, but will that be the end? I doubt it.

Just potted up the tomatoes to cell pack last night... Just about 144 counting the stragglers. Another 25 for the farm and 40 peppers for them still at the cell stage, and just about a full 1020 of their onions and leeks mass planted and almost 3" tall. Little ones get the lights, no problem.. the real trouble will come when they need bigger quarters in a couple of weeks. The windowledges are already festooned with 62 peppers in 9 oz cups, many of which are ready for larger pots, 16 peppers in beer cups which are bigger still, about 20 9 oz cup basil, chinese celery and parsley ready to pot up, oh did I forget two 1020 trays of celery, one in cells and one in 9 oz cups, which are in a basement window that gets no light if the greenhouse is snow covered... drat. Luckily I have bok choy starting to bolt in another window, I can eat that and shuffle the celery. White Lisbons are big enough to go join the leeks in the cold dark greenhouse...turnips need to go out too... couple more windows need a shelf installed... well, I guess my day's work is cut out for me.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #82
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Spent the day, 3-23, transplanting tomatoes and peppers into bigger single and 6 pack pots hoping the predicted snow does not come but that the rain will. We are back in a drought. Come on spring rains.
Old March 24, 2014   #83
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

I consulted Al Gore as to my Canada planting out date. He said that with all the global
warming, I should have planted out last week. It may be too hot for seedlings now.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #84
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Here too, potted up first bunch of tomatoes (~50) and started another smaller batch. Will stop when I reach ~100, which is 2~3x what I intend to plant, just about right, 15 or so varieties.

My other cold tolerant seedlings are big enough to transplant outside if ground and weather allow. Swiss chard, brassicas, lettuce and other greens. Can't even work the garden to put up low tunnels, still much snow and ice, and ground hard as concrete. I bit the bullet this weekend and bought 2 more light setups (4x T8) and have them spread around the house. At this rate, i may need to buy more in another week. It's only money, right?
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #85
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Started tomato seeds yesterday hoping germination will be good. It's a balmy -17 Celsius today. Just hoping I'll be planting by June!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #86
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
I consulted Al Gore as to my Canada planting out date. He said that with all the global
warming, I should have planted out last week. It may be too hot for seedlings now.
9 above (better than below) this morning.

Just how big is Al's carbon buttprint?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #87
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I'm with taboule , going to plant one kale and a few chard. Its a gamble with a few nights in the mid 20's forecast for next week. If I can get a few buckets I'll set out the brussel sprouts and move them around if necessary.

Otherwise, have stupice and early annie flowering on my windowsill. Started matina last week after reading the thread on cold tolerance. Hope to have them planted in ground asap.

- Lisa.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #88
jakebb
Tomatovillian™

Today is supposed to be nice (in the 60s) so I think I'll put the baby seedlings outside for a few hours in the afternoon if the wind dies down.
None of my peppers have germinated, so I think I'll either have to wait and see or get myself some sort of heat mat.
jakebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #89
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post

Planted 40 primed spinach seeds.
What do you do to prime your spinach seeds? Just give them a soak?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #90
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Too funny!

I'm not looking forward to returning to chilly Kingston next week!

I sowed some parsley seeds 2 days ago, and will sow my tomato seeds tomorrow.

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote