Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 22, 2012   #31
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggydog View Post
Ladybugs, Ladybugs fly away home.
Ladybugs are not happy in temperatures over 100. I had a great population this spring but they are all gone, now.
There is a rare, AZ ladybug but probably won't see that until July/August. Can't really buy those at the Whole Foods, though!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #32
stackhouse_kbtom
Tomatovillian™

indoors u can't use ladybugs either... they all commit suicide flying into lights and burning to a crisp.. like a bug zapper... azamax once a week
stackhouse_kbtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012   #33
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

The azamax is what got me to thinking about ivermectin. I then did a search and found ivermectin has been used on marijuana at the 1/2 ml per liter dose.
Should be very simar and much cheaper.
Not willing to spend $250 on my tomatoes when it's already looking like a rather bleak season.
Yesterday, it was 108 degrees and the humidty was 4%. That's not a typo, 4%!
The flea and tick shampoo with IGR and the daily water blasts seem to be helping. Although, now I have no time for tooth brushing the blossoms before work!
I'm off in June so I'll try to get some more fruit set.
I'm starting some new seedlings June 1 for fall. Maybe fall will be better!
Old May 24, 2012   #34
stackhouse_kbtom
Tomatovillian™

i don't know why you think it would cost two hundred fifty bucks for azamax.... i use a thirty buck bottle every three months or so... actually use it as a soil drench instead of spraying due to high humidity where i live.... your humidity being so low and high temps is whats killing you with the spider mites... females have babies every 3 days when the temps are over 90 degrees.... sorry about your luck
Old May 24, 2012   #35
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackhouse_kbtom View Post
i don't know why you think it would cost two hundred fifty bucks for azamax.... i use a thirty buck bottle every three months or so... actually use it as a soil drench instead of spraying due to high humidity where i live.... your humidity being so low and high temps is whats killing you with the spider mites... females have babies every 3 days when the temps are over 90 degrees.... sorry about your luck
I was searching for it and couldn't find it for less than $250. $30 I will definitely swing!
Old May 24, 2012   #36
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

I just noticed spider mites all over my Earthboxes. I sprayed with them with Dr. Bronners soap. Will this work?

I was just at the garden center yesterday too.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #37
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I found the azamax on Amazon for $19.48, free shipping! It had another name but it was definitely azamax!
Old May 24, 2012   #38
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

What seller? Or do you have a link?
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #39
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I don't have a link. I just typed azamax into my search and it came up. It was amazon prime so free shipping if you're a prime member!
Old May 24, 2012   #40
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well they have shown up! Dang I was so hoping I could go a year without having to fight them.

I noticed all my seedlings were looking really scorched and I thought it was just the heat and me letting them get too dry. I fertilized them and kept them watered only to see them decline a bit more so I checked under the leaves really closely and there they were. So I went out in the garden and looked at every plant that seemed a bit under the weather even if it was from fusarium and found spider mites on most of them to one degree or another. I sprayed just at daylight this morning with the permethrin, soapy water and IGR and by this evening all of the seedlings looked a bit better. I'm sure some of the larger plants will look better too but the damage was most notable on the seedlings. Now I just wait and see how long before I have to do it again.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012   #41
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered some azamax from Amazon. It's an organic IGR. Looking forward to giving it a try.
In the meantime, I'm going to gibpve everything another spray with Adams flea and tick shampoo plus seweed emulsion. Seems to have really helped.
I'll spray the roses, eggplants and tomatillos this time, as well.
I need to go buy myself a better sprayer.
Old May 25, 2012   #42
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Yep I got em too. Tracy do you have a link?
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012   #43
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I just ordered some azamax from Amazon. It's an organic IGR. Looking forward to giving it a try.
In the meantime, I'm going to gibpve everything another spray with Adams flea and tick shampoo plus seweed emulsion. Seems to have really helped.
I'll spray the roses, eggplants and tomatillos this time, as well.
I need to go buy myself a better sprayer.
Tracy, would you share your shampoo/seaweed recipe? I made the lovely discovery of spider mites, psyllids (I think), leaf foot bug nymphs and shield bugs in the last couple of days. I picked up some Green Light Citrus Tree spray yesterday that has neem, pyrethrins and a miticide. I'll be hosing down the plants probably this evening. I would like to have as many alternatives as possible dealing with all this. I'm also going to mix up an insecticidal soap batch and finding my garden gloves for the shield bugs. Next year I'll be going about this in a completely different manner. I feel like I'm going . My poor pond fish are really going to be mad at me. I've found a few horn worms and always throw them in for the fish. They are like sharks in a feeding frenzy! I'm not putting anything in the water after this.

Christy
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012   #44
stackhouse_kbtom
Tomatovillian™

green light is very very mild.... and i hope that bottle of azamax is made by General Hydroponics because i wouldn't have suggested another brand... azamax works so great by the way the azadictrin is extracted from the neem tree.. I'm not sure if other companies make as good as product and i sure don't understand how they can label it as the same name...
Old May 25, 2012   #45
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackhouse_kbtom View Post
green light is very very mild....
Does that mean Green Light is a cruddy product and I should take it back (which is fine) or it works well and won't damage my plants if used correctly? I want to make a good choice early so I won't be constantly buying chemicals that won't work. Any feedback is appreciated.

Christy

Last edited by checkerkitty; May 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote