Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 4, 2018   #16
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing 3 plants

All under 70 days...Husky Cherry Red, Better Bush, and Bush Goliath.

Donna
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2018   #17
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I am getting a good number of tomatoes off my vines now and what is the most surprising is so many of them are large. Not xlarge or bigger like I sometimes get in the early part of the year but still quite nice. A few even a pound or more but not many. Most are running between 6 and 14 ounces. We are having daytime temps in the low 90s and nights down around 70 now and for the next 10 days or so according to the forecast. This has been one of those very hot and very dry falls except for one week where we got almost an inch of rain in mid September. What we have had is a few days with a tenth or two tenths so just enough to encourage septoria and gray mold along with the ever present EB. I figure at this point in time there is no sense in wasting time pruning and spraying so the plants will just have to look terrible until the end. This past week the varieties that have produced the most are Red Brandywitn, Arkansas Traveler, ISPL, Spudakee, Gary O' Sena, Margaret Curtain, 1884, and Limbaugh's Legacy.

My bells were putting out some really large peppers until the past couple of weeks when the dry heat has really been hard on them. The okra is loving it as long as I water it every other day and keep picking it every day.

This is turning out to be a very good season for fall tomatoes. If not the best it is certainly right up there with the best. For the normal fall plants this heat is not good so I am expecting a very late or nearly non existent crop of greens, broccoli and cabbage. I guess I will have to wait for winter and hope I can keep them covered if it ever cools down enough to plant. I have cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and etc waiting to go out but the weather is just too hot and dry.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2018   #18
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post

I am also losing any tomato that gets the slightest red on it to birds and squirrels. I am keeping water in my bird bath but I guess they like tomato juice better so they are getting picked and put on the screened porch as soon as the slightest blush appears. If we got a little steady rain for a day or two the birds might let up.

Bill
Interesting. I'm losing more tomatoes to some animal than ever before too. Nice, big beefsteaks are eaten half way through and covered with fruit flies when I discover them. Not sure what it is - some are fairly high off the ground and I have deer fencing.

OTOH, its the end of the season and the freezer is full!

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2019   #19
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Bill , Starting to get abt. 50/50 success with my grafts. Got the mechanics down; cut, clips, ect..
I control; temp., moisture and light on both root stock and scions. Have been keeping notes on germination time and size of RS & S.
Have you developed any methods that keep your RS & S same diameter??
This is a critical factor, do you agree?
Today 5/25 in South Carolina 100 * with 3 - 4 more days coming.
Who knows what it will be in July. Had 17 days 100 or higher July 2017.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2019   #20
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I was glad to see this thread pop up again as it was a reminder to me that it's almost time to start my fall tomatoes. It's rare when my spring plants make it that long so I start just a few fresh ones for fall. Just a cherry and maybe one or two others.

Timing of the seeding is what I'm working on now. For the last few years I've been pushing back the start two weeks each year so that I don't have a ton of greenies when the first frost hits. Of course, first frost varies each year but is usually around the end of October, early November. They'll get started June 4 this year.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2019   #21
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default late tomatoes

I have 90 in the side yard 40x40 looking good after 3 weeks. I have ten 20 gal totes full of 95% MG potting soil and pine bark mulch and 5% 5=10-10, lime, perlite and manure.
I will seed for these in the next few days and should have 8 inch plants ready by Jul1. Going with GGWT, Black Pineapple, Estlers ML, Hillbilly, Big Beef and Choc Cherry. But I am not optimistic as I did this last yr with everything new and still got Early Blight.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2019   #22
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
I was glad to see this thread pop up again as it was a reminder to me that it's almost time to start my fall tomatoes. It's rare when my spring plants make it that long so I start just a few fresh ones for fall. Just a cherry and maybe one or two others.

Timing of the seeding is what I'm working on now. For the last few years I've been pushing back the start two weeks each year so that I don't have a ton of greenies when the first frost hits. Of course, first frost varies each year but is usually around the end of October, early November. They'll get started June 4 this year.
Still on the fence about whether to do fall tomatoes. Green Bee and Matt’s Wild Cherry are doing fantastic so maybe I’ll start a few small-fruited types for fall.
Old May 27, 2019   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I don't know where you are in N. Fl. but what works for me should work for you. Fall tomatoes that consistently do well for me are Arkansas Traveler, ISPL, Spudakee, Pruden's Purple, and Limbaugh's Legacy.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #24
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I have determinate plants now that I will pluck the blossoms to keep them alive until fall.
I will stop plucking around the end of august.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019   #25
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Now I'm interested in having some fall tomatoes. I can try a few quick to maturity types in grow bags (i want to let the regular tomato bed rest after the spring planted crop is done). And if the fall plants are gonna be out there in August and September they are going to need partial, not full, sun. August and September are brutal.
Old May 28, 2019   #26
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I don't know where you are in N. Fl. but what works for me should work for you. Fall tomatoes that consistently do well for me are Arkansas Traveler, ISPL, Spudakee, Pruden's Purple, and Limbaugh's Legacy.

Bill
Bill, when do you start seeds for them?
Old May 29, 2019   #27
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Do you use copper??At a minimum.
Old May 29, 2019   #28
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Bill, when do you start seeds for them?
Not Bill, but I start seeds around the 4th of July and plant my fall tomatoes around Labor Day. That usually gets me tomatoes around mid November and lasts until it freezes. Sometimes that is late December.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019   #29
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Bill have no idea when and where I read this.Old wise tale.Hang the bright red glass Christmas balls on plant before fruit starts turning red. Birds peck balls, no goodies and they leave the ripe fruit alone. You know how they can mess up your rear view window seeing their reflection. I never had major problems but something crazy to try.
Old May 31, 2019   #30
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Default Two that keep going

Central South Carolina, last 10/12 days 95+s several 100's in there.
Better Boy and Big Beef usually stay with me until first frost in October.
Have found nothing more durable, hardy.