Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2018   #271
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Gardeneer:

I love using the clips this year too!

If you ever get near Buffalo ★★★★★★★★ VA on the North Carolina border (or you want to pay shipping) Berry Hill Irrigation sells large quantities for just over a penny a piece.

I finally got work out that way and stopped by. It's just a large metal warehouse with really nice people.

http://www.berryhilldrip.com/MG23-To...-Trellis..html

I clip everything now!
I bought them about 10-12 years ago, I forgot where & how much they costed, but I'm replying to say that while they are designed to use with string, you can take TWO CLIPS and connect them together, making 2 circles---put one around the vine and one loop around a rebar or thin bamboo stake...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018   #272
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
1) Floranova, one-part complete nutrient for soilless mediums. Easy to measure and mix, 1-2tsp per gallon of water at a cost of about 6 cents per gallon. I use it for seedlings and switch to Hydro-Garden's Tomato 4-18-38 after I pot-up.

2)
That must be the deluxe wagon/cart.. not sure what to call it. Mine has white wheels and no steering nor pull handle.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018   #273
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I used to have a Makita. Great drill. Replacement batteries were crazy expensive, though, so when mine started to go, I down graded. I don't need it professionally, after all. Enjoy it in good health.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2018   #274
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I used to have a Makita. Great drill. Replacement batteries were crazy expensive, though, so when mine started to go, I down graded. I don't need it professionally, after all. Enjoy it in good health.
I love this thing still.

The rigid was ticking me off big time in the heat of the summer.
The batteries were getting hot just from the ambient temperature and making me have to reset them with the charger.

BUT I have a product I have used for a coons age Channel Locks.
I honestly dont know how many I have, I buy them every time I can think of it.
They are still made in the USA to this day.
I have all sorts of stuff made by the brand.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2018   #275
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Default Outdoor Griddle

This is one of my very best purchases. It's a Blackstone 17" Griddle. I cook on it a couple times a day. I haven't baked any bread on it, but it's great for breakfast, Chinese, grilled and steamed vegetables, fajitas and about anything else. My wife also loves it, but I suspect it's because she doesn't have to clean up after me in the kitchen.

They make a variety of sizes up to 36".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blackstone1.jpg (17.7 KB, 171 views)
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2018   #276
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

BUT I have a product I have used for a coons age Channel Locks.
I honestly dont know how many I have, I buy them every time I can think of it.
They are still made in the USA to this day.
I have all sorts of stuff made by the brand.
I've had good luck with Channel locks for years. I recently switched to Knipex Cobra. If need be, I can adjust them with one hand and the teeth in their jaws are at abnormal angles that seem to help them to grip better. I also have the 10 inch dykes that have a lot of leverage and the cutting edges seems to be pretty tough. For me the extra money for Knipex is worth it, until it gets misplaced/lost/5 fingered.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2018   #277
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockandrollin View Post
I've had good luck with Channel locks for years. I recently switched to Knipex Cobra. If need be, I can adjust them with one hand and the teeth in their jaws are at abnormal angles that seem to help them to grip better. I also have the 10 inch dykes that have a lot of leverage and the cutting edges seems to be pretty tough. For me the extra money for Knipex is worth it, until it gets misplaced/lost/5 fingered.
Well for the most part if they are made in Germany they just about have to be good.

Worth
Old September 29, 2018   #278
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Those pliers look awesome, I know what I'm requesting from Santa now...maybe lump of coal too.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2018   #279
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemansker View Post
This is one of my very best purchases. It's a Blackstone 17" Griddle. I cook on it a couple times a day. I haven't baked any bread on it, but it's great for breakfast, Chinese, grilled and steamed vegetables, fajitas and about anything else. My wife also loves it, but I suspect it's because she doesn't have to clean up after me in the kitchen.

They make a variety of sizes up to 36".

Pretty good there and making your wife happy is a plus, too! I think Rockporter also had bought a Blackstone after the hurricane did a number down there i9n south Texas.
Old September 30, 2018   #280
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Here's a couple of mine... Worx 20 volt pressure washer. I think something like 325 psi. Much handier for smallish cleaning jobs than dragging out my big corded model. Will not damage wood like the big ones.

Zvox accuvoice sound bar for tv. Tremendous product if you have difficulty understanding the voices in lots of tv dramas and movies.

SSD for computers. Awesome boot up and launching as compared to even 7200 rpm disk drives.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2018   #281
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I need a pressure washer but as long as my neighbor is around I dont need to buy one.
We borrow all kinds of stuff from each other to save money.
Stuff you dont use much.
I still have his 1/2 drive impact wrench come to think of it.

But some things you just dont borrow, like tooth brushes and cutting boards.

Speaking of cutting boards I broke down and bought a huge plastic cutting board for the kitchen.
Just the cheap one from Walmart is all I or anyone needs.
It fits the large side of my sink like a glove and I find myself using it all the time.
I do love my 30 some odd year old wooden ones I made years ago and I use them too.
But I like the light weight of the plastic one too and it is easy to clean and dry.

Worth
Old December 21, 2018   #282
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Makita drill and driver set still kicking.
On the job now as we speak.
The other drill stayed on the job for the other guys to use like they are today.
They cant afford this expensive stuff.
Going to get the Makita circular saw to go with my drills this weekend maybe.
Worth
IMG_20181221_40771.jpg
Old December 21, 2018   #283
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Rubbermaid 5642 Big Wheel Farm Cart, 7-1/2 cu. ft.

Will never own a regular wheelbarrow again.
Rubbermaid cart is da bomb.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t?cm_vc=-10005

Last edited by Nematode; December 21, 2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Sp
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #284
PlainJane

The original Smith and Hawkin (going back many years) imported a lot of serious gardening equipment from England.
I bought a set of Bulldog fork, flat spade, edger and curved spade 25 years ago. Much of that time I gardened in New England with lots of rocks. Someone stole the flat spade but I found a vintage replacement at a garage sale. The small curved digger was called a poachers spade. It’s perfect as a planting tool and light enough to use as a giant trowel.
I abuse the hell out of tools and these were worth every penny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58789A50-B267-4CBC-96D1-F4BD3CCDA4F7.jpg (486.6 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by PlainJane; January 6, 2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old January 6, 2019   #285
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Talking about garden tools, I found this at a flee market, like new condition. Except for the chipped paint on the blade, it held up pretty good for ~10 years.

weeder.jpg

One piece forged blade and tang, sharp bevel. It's light, fits the hand perfectly and does a job on stubborn weeds. Made by Snow and Nealley, have seen them for over $25 in high-end nurseries, I think I paid $1 for it.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote