Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 4, 2018   #1
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

Default ID on this variety??

Hi, All.

I was at Whole Foods this week and was having a look at their heirlooms just for fun. I came across one variety that I liked the looks of and there happened to be one specimen that had split and was rotting a bit. I asked if they'd give it to me (for seeds) and they did. So, I was wondering if someone might be able to recognize the variety or guess something close it it.

The fruit is actually a little brighter red than as shown in the photos. The flavor was very sweet with not much acidity.

Any help would be appreciated.

txtstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

On the right hand fruit could you tell us what word comes after the word organic?

That might help,otherwise it looks to me like one of the green striped dark ones,but I went back and looked and see you call it red,still OK,IMO,of which there are several,I think, and sometimes I do think.

You might want to ask the produce manager where they got them from , whether a name was listed for them,since in the past that has helped to trace back varieties for quite a few folks.

Carolyn
Old October 4, 2018   #3
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the response, Carolyn. The word on the sticker before 'organic' is also 'organic'. This fruit got double sticker'd.

I say it was red, but it wasn't like Big Beef red, just not as dark as something like a Cherokee Purple. Any varieties you might throw out there that might give me start?

There was a sticker on it that, I think, said "Castro Farms" and I think it was grown in Mexico. I wasn't able to find a website for the grower though.
Old October 4, 2018   #4
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

I would say that the tomatoes, to me, had about the same coloration as the Purple Bumblebee cherry tomatoes with the green stripes maybe not as developed.
Old October 4, 2018   #5
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Some Possibilities:
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Indian Stripe
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2018   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Store bought?Did you grow?Can we see open up images,locules seeds,ditto agee12 above,tie dye,stripe maybe.Origin?
Old October 4, 2018   #7
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

You have to be aware that some places are calling tomatoes "heirlooms" because they've crossed a hybrid with an older OP and created a new "heirloom". That word doesn't mean the same thing to them as it does to you and I.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2018   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtstorm View Post
Thanks for the response, Carolyn. The word on the sticker before 'organic' is also 'organic'. This fruit got double sticker'd.

I say it was red, but it wasn't like Big Beef red, just not as dark as something like a Cherokee Purple. Any varieties you might throw out there that might give me start?

There was a sticker on it that, I think, said "Castro Farms" and I think it was grown in Mexico. I wasn't able to find a website for the grower though.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Cast...&bih=815&dpr=1

Carolyn
Old October 4, 2018   #9
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default What can I not said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Travel down south a lot.can I say nafta in this,no.thanxc137