Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 4, 2008   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue Coco Pole Bean

Has anyone grown Blue Coco? My main question is whether it's stringless as a snap bean. Any comments on eating quality, flavor or growth habit would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 5, 2008   #2
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I ordered some from Fedco seeds this year. Here is what Fedco had to say:
Quote:
Blue Coco OG (72 days snap) A pre-1775 French heirloom named for its chocolate seeds and bluish-purple pods, Coco makes a handsome plant, its green leaves tinged with purple. Can serve as a snap, shell or dry bean. Slightly curved pods with tender strings flatten as they age. Very mild and sweet with a pleasing meaty flavor and nutty aftertaste. Can be harvested at 3" as filet beans, remain tender to 5" without getting stringy. Superior to most purples I’ve tried, I was quite impressed,” reported trialer Marilyn Weschnefski. Pods turn green when blanched. Freezes well. Though supposedly tolerant of both heat and drought, production slacked off during hot dry weather, but it blossomed again profusely upon the return of rain and more temperate nights.
They are pretty looking beans, link below:
http://www.southernexposure.com/prod...ods/13752.html

I am looking forward to grow these beans.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Dean. I'm looking forward to them, too. That picture looks familiar. I ordered my seed from SESE.