Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 25, 2019   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Doing an about face!

3 of my 7gal. grow bags had lettuce that just never did much, all the plants were very small so today I did an about face. I removed the under performing lettuce and 2 of the bags are now seeded with Table King acorn squash bush variety, and 1 with Festival hybrid squash. Yes I know its a bit late to be planting such a slow maturing squash but I'm hoping the fall frost will stay away til the last of Sept. or 1st week of Oct. if it does I should be just fine and I'll have some tasty winter squash to enjoy this fall & winter. Anyone else here have to replant mid way thru the season with a slow maturing plant?
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2019   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I am doing a succession planting, something akin to your plan of growing a second crop. Have you considered planting a traditional fall crop ( I am in the process of starting more cabbage and broccoli) or perhaps a quick summer squash or cucumber. The shorter day length will factor into your dtm, imho I would have started one or the other as an experiment and used the second container for something quicker.

More importantly does your soil need a boost?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2019   #4
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

How are the growbags doing ?
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2019   #5
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Tomzhawaii, due to limited space I've been doing grow bags for the last 6yrs, and while the 1st year was trying once I got the method nailed down I've been very happy! this yr I have19 grow bags started with several varieties of tomatoes & peppers, pole beans, beets, cabbage, winter squash and kohlrabi. Biggest thing to remember is you really need to fertilize on a regular basis, a 7 gallon grow bag is a far cry from in ground planting and as such you must keep up with heavy feeders like tomatoes & peppers.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote