Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 9, 2019   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Transplanting seeds only 4 days old

I dropped my tray ... again. This time the seeds were very young. A few were peeking out of the soil last night and I decided to remove them from the heat mat and put them under lights for the overnight. The soil temp using only the light was 79F. This morning a few emerged and by the afternoon a few had sprung up and somewere showing their primordial loop.

I was able to sift about 8 babes from the mess on the floor. It took almost two hours. There were roughly 80 dense planted seeds, and many were all that I had of that variety in my collection.

Only time will tell and I'll be happy to grow any that survive, without knowing what they are in advance. I soaked the soil with Espoma Organic Start! Should I keep them on the cooler side until they recover? I have them under a T5 now, but not right up against the light. I placed some of the scooped up soil in another seed tray in case there are any seeds that are lurking in the Jiffy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6858.JPG (137.5 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6869.JPG (126.7 KB, 315 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019   #2
MdTNGrdner

Oh dear, what a disappointment!

I hope your little ones make it, and you might be surprised at how many grow out of the mixed stuff; but not knowing which is what...

From your markers I think I have 5 or 6 of those varieties I can send you, if you want to start over with a new tray? And of course other kinds if you're not set on those exact kinds. PM if you want a seed delivery!
Old March 10, 2019   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Oh, that's painful. Some folks say to give a little less light right after transplanting or trauma.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019   #4
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Aloha,
On the good side, look at all the curious watching and wondering. I don''t want to make light of your situation, but adventure is the best travelled road . Mostly I am basically terrible at labeling seeds that get planted. I have gotten much better lately, but still have stray seeds pop-up and wonder "what happened here ? "Anyway, best of luck and enjoy the adventure.
Aloha,
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Oh dear! thats sort of a disaster isn't it? I can send you a few big beef. thats the only one I think I have that I can read on your tags.
put up a list and I am sure many of us could replace them if you are out.
Old March 10, 2019   #6
MI Farmer
Tomatovillian™

Whenever I have a mishap (which is often), I always remember something my sister told me years ago... "Plants want to live."

Please let us know if your babies survive.
MI Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019   #7
PlainJane

I feel your pain.
I also dropped a tray yesterday while shuffling my seedlings back to their partly shaded outdoor rack.
I put labels back as best I could after resettling the soil. And cursed my clumsiness.
Old March 10, 2019   #8
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Yes, we love plants so much on Tomatoville that they are capable of breaking our hearts. 2 years ago my husband cut down a 10 year old Pink Jasmine vine that blooms only a couple of weeks every spring, thinking it was a noxious vine growing on our fence. It took everything in my power to bite my tongue or else I would have been divorced for sure. I'm serious. It's taken two years for the Jasmine to come back but it's actually starting to bloom now.
Old March 10, 2019   #9
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Ouch. One of my pups took out a tray of potted up dwarfs and micros that
went unnoticed for hours. Only lost one though and I know the varieties by
sight thank goodness.

Cross your fingers. But I think you will get a successful grow.
I still would start another tray. Get replacements of your last seed varieties.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

This is absolutely the best place to lean your shoulder on
The casualty was actually a little worse but I didn't have the heart to post the full free fall, but now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel I will share it. This was just a med size permanest, but it had the selections which I had chosen to grow for myself.
I appreciate the offers of help, but between having an "emergency" seed left and making substitutions, I have completed a replacement tray. The exception is Esternia F1, for which I planted the remaining 4 from the Harris package. Why save one in this big pack when I will have to buy a new pack next year. Humph!Can't go without this one. I'll be traveling the country until I find a ready made plant!!

Photos below, might show out of order:
The meltdown photo
Replacement tray sown
The survivors in a small tray
The seed tray (very shallow, with about 3 plants popping up so far)
A few misc seedlings enjoying the sun
My leeks and onions, sadly not doing well and may have to order
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6869.JPG (126.7 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6896.jpg (494.5 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6897.JPG (158.1 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6899.JPG (168.1 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6900.JPG (123.7 KB, 257 views)
Old March 11, 2019   #11
PlainJane

Nice bunch of seedlings!
Old March 28, 2019   #12
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I put out the spinach today, and it was immediately noticed by a robin. So much for my effort putting up a barrier for the rabbits.

The seedlings that came up naturally are far ahead of the early transplants. I am getting a few PL's , so there is hope some of the Matsu and True North varieties were saved. I let the seed tray go longer than usual, and they look good on transplant, despite them being sown a shallow tray. Pics to come in about a week, when they have a chance to adjust to the repotting.

- Lisa
Old April 5, 2019   #13
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Making slow progress, the dropped seedlings aren't growing as fast as others planted after. Instead of replanting in seed starting mix, I skipped to potting mix, the dreaded MG I guess. They were to young for something that heavy, but I still have hope.

They're still pretty small. I am specifically looking for KarenO and Marsha's True North tomatoes. I saved one seed of each of the 4 varieties for future this vs that comparison between generations (thril of the hunt, since they were determined to be stable). The other PL's have replacements growing, sort of.
My last two Matsu , labeled 2017, if they germinated, will be joined by restarted Matsu F6. Stupice Sklenikove, if saved, will be grown with Stupice.

Liliput and Limbo were immediately restarted, as were a few others.
I am wondering when Esternia F1 will be "smellable" (like Sungold).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drop tray list.JPG (29.4 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg dropped tray april4.jpg (390.4 KB, 145 views)
Old April 6, 2019   #14
MdTNGrdner

They're coming along! Even the small ones are green and healthy looking, good to see. . Great job with the rescue!
Old April 6, 2019   #15
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. When they get a little larger I hope we can iake some educated guesses as to their identity so a container variety doesn't get planted in the shadow of a giant like Elgin Pink. What a lopsided garden my neighbors would see from their deck every day, all summer. Even worse, the view of me bending down to pick those cherries :zzzzzz)

- Lisa