Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old September 6, 2019   #451
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan125 View Post
Keep us posted on the seed grow out, curious to see if they grow true.

If you are referring to the seeds from Georgia I think they are legit. It is a private school selling to raise money for educational purposes which would maybe explain why the seeds are so inexpensive. I am not certain of any of this but confident enough to order 4 more varieties from them.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2019   #452
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

It seems that SeedsNow is having a flash 30% off your entire order, at least it appears so to me but I placed my order Sunday (before the sale.) I'm not sure whether it's giving me that offer because I remain logged in, or whether it appears to everyone, but that's a nice discount. https://www.seedsnow.com/
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019   #453
zendog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and ordered some pepper and radish seeds. Their shipping is reasonable as well.

I have a quick question if you or anyone here has used them before and if their seed is usually true to type. I've had bad experiences from some vendors. The pictures for Big Jim and Santa Fe Grand look a little different from what I've seen for these varieties, but it is hard to know if they are pictures from their own plants, etc. I guess I'll see next year.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
It seems that SeedsNow is having a flash 30% off your entire order, at least it appears so to me but I placed my order Sunday (before the sale.) I'm not sure whether it's giving me that offer because I remain logged in, or whether it appears to everyone, but that's a nice discount. https://www.seedsnow.com/
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019   #454
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and ordered some pepper and radish seeds. Their shipping is reasonable as well.

I have a quick question if you or anyone here has used them before and if their seed is usually true to type. I've had bad experiences from some vendors. The pictures for Big Jim and Santa Fe Grand look a little different from what I've seen for these varieties, but it is hard to know if they are pictures from their own plants, etc. I guess I'll see next year.

Thanks.
First time ordering for me, but as you can see a few posts up, I asked if they were a good source, since an earlier sale mention in this thread was how I came to learn of them. The feedback was all good.

I see what you mean, though, I Googled the Santa Fe Grande and most of them look shorter and blunter. Bonnie's version, though, looks even more thin and tapered! https://images.app.goo.gl/zZ1AvW1DQmKJMFv98
Old September 11, 2019   #455
zendog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
Bonnie's version, though, looks even more thin and tapered! https://images.app.goo.gl/zZ1AvW1DQmKJMFv98
Actually I think that is the way google displays it in the search, but when I clicked through Bonnie's had the chunky ones as well.

I'm still happy to give them a try, but more wary these days having grown out some Poblanos from a well known vendor that turned out to be some type of small bell pepper.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019   #456
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog View Post
Actually I think that is the way google displays it in the search, but when I clicked through Bonnie's had the chunky ones as well.

I'm still happy to give them a try, but more wary these days having grown out some Poblanos from a well known vendor that turned out to be some type of small bell pepper.
It might be worth it to reach out to them and ask them if their source for the seeds does bagged blossoms to prevent cross-pollination. Hopefully they could at least address that. But hopefully even if you get a more elongated shape it'll be in the zone of heat that you were shooting for?

My seeds (and seed potatoes) arrived yesterday, but I had little time to go through everything last night other than a quick count of the packets and a quiet "um, I hope you like beans and peas" to my sweetie. I got sample size packs of several beans, from Scarlet Runner to bush-type green and burgundy beans, plus I already had gotten yard long beans from another source. I think they'll grow more successfully than a lot of the brassica that like cooler weather than we'll have much of, though I do have one cabbage in the mix, and still want to try broccoli raab that I somehow forgot to add to my order.
Old October 11, 2019   #457
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Harris Seeds has free shipping all weekend. Promo Code: PUMPKIN

Off to see if they have some of the summer squash that are resistant to squash vine borer!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019   #458
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post

Off to see if they have some of the summer squash that are resistant to squash vine borer!
Please let us know your findngs!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019   #459
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Please let us know your findngs!

- Lisa
I ended up ordering Tatume and Zucchino Rampicante from Baker Creek (rareseeds.com). Both can be picked young and used like summer squash but neither have hollow stems - supposed to be more resistant to squash vine borer. We'll see in 2020!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2019   #460
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Harris is again offering free shipping till today (Nov 3) code TRICK
- Lisa
Old November 4, 2019   #461
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I ended up ordering Tatume and Zucchino Rampicante from Baker Creek (rareseeds.com). Both can be picked young and used like summer squash but neither have hollow stems - supposed to be more resistant to squash vine borer. We'll see in 2020!
I'm just wondering if they're selling seeds right now that were packed for 2019 or if they're sending ones packed for 2020. Just curious as I've never thought about that before because I usually order around New Year.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2019   #462
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I received an email for 20% off at Ohio Heirloom Seeds. Use code "November." I got my order in for Rozovyl Myod.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2019   #463
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

This is not exactly a coupon or key code, but we have a new Kickstarter Project active until November 17th.

It includes discounted larger packet sizes, and it is a great way for folks outside the US to get our seeds (we can not take orders outside the US at our website).

The 5 varieties featured are Agi Red, Lucky Agi, Green Bee, Creamsicle Grape and Aleppo Peppers.

Agi Red
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019   #464
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Burpee is having a sale on a variety of fall bulbs, especially tulips. When you add a seed packet from the new 2020 line, the entire order will ship free.
Not much help if you are in the northeast .

A small selection of garlic is also on sale, but I can't speak to the quality or value.

- Lisa
Old November 16, 2019   #465
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Sow True Seed is having a 60% Off sale on their 2019 seed packets.

"This sale will end at 1 pm, Friday November 22. All discounted packets are available only while supplies last. Our discounted packets are dated for 2019, but have passed their germination tests. Store packets in cool, dark and dry conditions until ready for planting."

https://sowtrueseed.com/

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote