Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old April 21, 2019   #16
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Well its a lot more economical and better for the environment than conventional burial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatbox View Post
Yes! I would love to do this or be vermicomposted.
Which worm species do you prefer? I think I'll stick with the good old red wriggler. But black soldier flies is okay too.

Last edited by maxjohnson; April 21, 2019 at 10:57 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #17
Solanum315
Tomatovillian™

Interesting thread as I have often thought that I would like to be composted into tomato food. I have spent my entre life using the nutrients gathered by other animals and plants. It seems narcissistic to be unwlling to put my molecules back into circulation after I pass.

http://worldtomatoes.blogspot.com/
Solanum315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My main concern is if it goes from an option to you have to regardless of your chosen ideology.
That is where I draw the line even though I dont necessarily have one of my own I will be the biggest protector of yours as long as it doesn't infringe on others.

To be honest and straight forward.
The idea of this so called human composting brings pictures of the Cambodian killing fields and Auschwitz to my mind.

The other thing that many of you may not realize is one way the FBI knows to look for a killer is to see how the body is treated.
If it is all nicely wrapped up and buried it can very well be a family member.
If just dumped like a dead dog it more than likely isn't.

When I die I want to be cremated and my ashes mixed with my wife's which I still have and spread out in a nice place.
We became as one in marriage and by darn we will stay that way when my time comes.
I dont want to be composted like a dead animal on the road.
To me a human is a very special being and deserves better than that.
At least wrap us up say a few words and put us in a hole.
Will we just leave our dead soldiers lay where they died to compost.
Will it get that far.
Does my opinion count or does it offend anyone?
I hope not on the latter that is not my intent.
Happy composting what ever you may decide, your choice as it should be.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My father's ashes are in box in my brother's closet. He was cremated and they didn't do a good job. I've looked inside that box one time, and right on top is a vertebrae - a backbone. I don't want to till that up in my garden. My brother wanted to dump the ashes at the local lake. Imagine being a young child or anyone reeling in a human bone.

The box is still in my brother's closet and has been since 2011.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #20
svalli
Tomatovillian™

If Finland had mountains and vultures, I would prefer to be sky buried.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

Since the two legal choices here are to be put composting in a box in ground (no embalming chemicals are used here) at cemetery or cremated and ashes put in a cemetery or spread to sea or a some natural area (the ashes can not be stored at home), I prefer to be cremated and my ashes spread on our own forest or some other non marked area. I do not need a headstone and place which people have to visit to bring flowers and candles. Who ever wants to remember me can do it where ever they want to be and not some special place, which they would feel obligated to go to.
An other choice of mine would be buried whole in ground in a biodegradable coffin and a tree planted on top of my grave, but since burying a whole body to an unmarked location is not legal here, the cremation is the easiest way for the people who have to take care of my earthy remains.

Sari
Old April 24, 2019   #21
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

I'm never gonna die, I'M GONNA LIVE FOREVER!!!!
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #22
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Funny story, well I thought it was funny.
We took my wife's aunt's ashes out to sea and when her cousin dropped the ashes over the one side of the boat we were on the other side.

My wife leans over and sees this greenish glow in the water, it reminded me of the color of anti-freeze, she then says "whats that", I said, "That's your Aunt"
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #23
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Where my dad's ashes are buried, in a cemetary, there are many trees planted among the graves. Very healthy looking trees! That thought gave me comfort for my dad loved nature and the woods. Compost is what our bodies all become whether as dead meat or ashes. The thing that gets me about this simpler way of dealing with bodies is that it costs so much more!
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I used to live right next to an old cemetery.
I had a dog that used to bury everything including crackers when she got tired of eating them.
One day my neighbor lady saw her digging a hole on top of one of the graves and pulling out a whole ham bone and was horrified.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #25
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Green burials becoming more popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Everyone is in a tizzy to out-recycle their neighbors, but when they die they are pumped full of formaldehyde and sealed in a box.
Composting is the most natural route, tested over millions of years.
I'm sure i could add a little special flavor to your tomatoes after I'm gone!
I'm with you Nematode. Put me in a biodegradable container and let me be food for the daffodils.
Old April 24, 2019   #26
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Creep Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
That's about the creepiest thing I have ever heard of in my life.
I think I need a stiff drink.
Creep factor of zero for me. As the song says "Different strokes for different folks."
Old April 24, 2019   #27
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Way up in the boonies, around here, a few families have been doing it for generations, from what I hear. They honor their kin by placing them in a pine coffin, filling the coffin with soil (so there are little to no air pockets), burying the coffin and then planting a tree. I don't know if it can be done "legally" today, if it is still done, or if it has been discontinued.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019   #28
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Our 15 year old cat died peacefully last July. I thought nothing about buying her in the garden below a newly rooted tomato cut. She spent the better part of her life outdoors. She gave great joy to us in life and after.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020   #29
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I have no problem being composted. The graveyard of today makes absolutely no sense to me.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2020   #30
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I grew up with two Chinese families who saved "night soil" for their garden. Whole body composting may be an improvement over night soil. I've told my family to just spread my ashes in the garden. I don't want to be in a jar on a mantle.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote