Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 11, 2014   #1
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Default Unusual shapes

The attached image is derived from one at : http://tilling.ucdavis.edu/index.php/Tomato_Tilling

The Tilling method generates a range of mutations in known genes without relying on genetic engineering techniques, so the resulting mutations can more easily be integrated into commercial breeding lines without much of the fuss associated with GMOs.

Occasionally tomato plants throw a single fruit with a spur like these, and some related species (Solanum mammosum) have them routinely, so I was certain the basic developmental biology of tomatoes would allow for them. I find the idea of a tomato with lots of fingers to be amusing, so I took note when I saw the image of two mutant fruit at the UCDavis site.

At some point I may be able to get access to the depicted mutants, but for now I have a simpler question/request:

Does anyone know of crosses or breeding lines which are prone to producing fruit with these extensions at higher than normal rates?

I recall reading a mention of some line with an unacceptably high incidence of such malformations in an interview with Tom Wagner (I think), but I can't right now find the interview in question, nor do I have any recollection of what sort of tomato varieties were involved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mutants.tilling_ucdavis_edu.2.jpg (18.7 KB, 133 views)
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2014   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I see my name was mentioned and since few can answer for me...here it is.

I do collect odd shaped fruits in my breeding work....who wouldn't after 61 years? I do not generally offer them so most are still in archived inventory. That said, I have stated publicly that I have had lots of horns on the blue fruits, originally out of the OSU P20, later in my own cxrosses and OP's. Additionally I have seen it in one of the progenitors of OSU's Indigo Rose. Clackamas Blueberry is noted for the trait but the bulks seed of it going into the wholesale trade may be selecting away from that and I have no say-so on that trend.

To date the folks I submit varieties to have little or no interest in explicit novelties.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2014   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
The Tilling method generates a range of mutations in known genes without relying on genetic engineering techniques
All they are doing is a chemical/UV mutagenesis and then growing out large numbers of F2 (referred to as M2, second generation after mutagenesis) and screening for unusual phenotypes. Nothing new there but it can reveal interesting phenotypes without introducing outside DNA into cells.

Those are unusual looking fruit!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2014   #4
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

What is new is that they are sorting all those mutated lines by what genes have been altered. It's a lot of work, but it produces a database which makes the collection of mutants much more useful for researchers.

If I want a mutant in gene X, I can go to them and they will say, "Certainly, sir, we have 20 mutations in gene X to choose from!"… or something along those lines.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2014   #5
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Mutation breeding is useful and one can produce an allelic series of mutants this way relatively easily. It's been done on a number of species and there are many products in grocery stores derived from this technique.

I can't tell how far they've gotten on this project though, sounded like they needed more funding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
What is new is that they are sorting all those mutated lines by what genes have been altered. It's a lot of work, but it produces a database which makes the collection of mutants much more useful for researchers.

If I want a mutant in gene X, I can go to them and they will say, "Certainly, sir, we have 20 mutations in gene X to choose from!"… or something along those lines.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2014   #6
charline
Tomatovillian™

I just stumbled over a tomato variety called Teufel = Devil
they say a lot of them have these little horns

charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2014   #7
joseph
Tomatovillian™

This summer, the "horned" trait showed up on a few fruits of a dehybridized Sungold that I've been growing for a few generations.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2014   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
I just stumbled over a tomato variety called Teufel = Devil
they say a lot of them have these little horns

Charline, below is a link that says why some tomatoes form horns and noses, it has to do with the variables you see described.

So saving seeds from such unusual shaped fruits is not going to give you the same odd shapes.

http://www.walterreeves.com/food-gar...orns-and-nose/

Carolyn, who has seen the same picture you showed, but it took her longer to come up with a link to explain why and how it happens,