Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 8, 2016   #1
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Default DANIEL BURSON 2016

Many Tomtovillian's are growing Bill Jeffers tomato, "Daniel Burson" this year. Thank you Mr. Jeffers it's a great one. Since this is a rather new variety, I thought that it would be interesting to start this thread to gather information to see how this tomato performs in various locations. This plant ought to be a potato leafed, large purple beefsteak.

Things of interest would be: Days to germination. Plant vigor and disease issues. Days to maturity. Fruit set and production. Of course, the taste and any other notes that you would wish to make.

Many of you have already started your seeds for the season, so post away. I have had to have a minor heart surgery so I will not be starting my plants for a week or two.

Your contributions to this thread are much appreciated!
Old April 8, 2016   #2
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I am growing it. Had near 100% germination and transplanted around 20 seedlings last month. They are growing faster than my ISPL so far and are about 2x the size. Will be fun to compare them later.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Many Tomtovillian's are growing Bill Jeffers tomato, "Daniel Burson" this year. Thank you Mr. Jeffers it's a great one. Since this is a rather new variety, I thought that it would be interesting to start this thread to gather information to see how this tomato performs in various locations. This plant ought to be a potato leafed, large purple beefsteak.

Things of interest would be: Days to germination. Plant vigor and disease issues. Days to maturity. Fruit set and production. Of course, the taste and any other notes that you would wish to make.

Many of you have already started your seeds for the season, so post away. I have had to have a minor heart surgery so I will not be starting my plants for a week or two.

Your contributions to this thread are much appreciated!
I'm one who doesn't consider it a rather new variety, link to follow, but Bill (Travis here at Tville) had sent me seeds for it several years ago for the experimental section of my seed offer,not being sure it was stable.

It was a popular one and when I put up the Fall feedback report all who grew it loved it and it was stable.

To me it's not so much when it was stable, but one that deserves to have more recognition , as is true with many other varieties,that is,outside message sites,and I'm doing the best I can to facilitate that since I send seeds for trial to many seed vendors,mainly those I have known for many years.

Someone has already made a seed offer for it in I think the trade Forum, and behind me on a chair is a box with many varieties Bill sent me and one pack is full of Daniel Burson seeds and they will be listed in my upcoming seed offer.

http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/s...=3632748&pp=30

Carolyn, just her own opinion about many great varieties,already stable that she thinks should be known more widely, and I'll make sure that Tania gets seeds as well,since when I last looked, and I just did again,she has a page for Daniels,but not Daniel Burson. And just trying to remember how many years Bill and I have known each other and it must go back to the original GW around 2000, where his user name was Hoosier Cherokee and I was as I am today,Carolyn137.
Old April 8, 2016   #4
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Patti, I wish you good health. I don't know how any heart surgery can be minor, but take care.

As a follow up to Patti's and Carolyn's post, Patti graciously sent me seeds for DB and I am very excited to grow this variety out. There isn't a lot of information about it and I agree with Carolyn that there needs to be more out there about it.
So for the information Patti has suggested:
9 seeds sown on April 3rd. The first ones germinated on April 6th. As of today, 5 have germinated. They look great and I had all my seedlings under lights by the 7th. DB is in a tray with ISPL, and ISPL is just beginning to show signs of life (phew!).

Will continue to keep you updated!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am growing one PL version for the fist time. I had normal germination.
I planted out mine 3 days ago. So far doing good. Being the only variety with PL in my garden, I can tell it from a mile. hehe
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2016   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Patti, I wish you good health. I don't know how any heart surgery can be minor, but take care.

As a follow up to Patti's and Carolyn's post, Patti graciously sent me seeds for DB and I am very excited to grow this variety out. There isn't a lot of information about it and I agree with Carolyn that there needs to be more out there about it.
So for the information Patti has suggested:
9 seeds sown on April 3rd. The first ones germinated on April 6th. As of today, 5 have germinated. They look great and I had all my seedlings under lights by the 7th. DB is in a tray with ISPL, and ISPL is just beginning to show signs of life (phew!).

Will continue to keep you updated!
Sharon
Sharon, we know every thing about DB,parentage,how long it took to get to stability,who helped Bill do that, reports back from many who have grown it etc.

My point was that it needs to be more publicaly known so others can also enjoy it and I said above what I was going to do to help that to happen.

Carolyn
Old April 8, 2016   #7
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Sharon, thanks for the kind words. I am feeling pretty good.

I agree with Carolyn that this is a very good tomato that Bill has given us and deserves to be grown by more people. That is why I offered this tomato this year in the 2015 MMMM and in my seed offer here at T'ville. I sent out 72 packs of Daniel Burson seeds this year. I am quite happy that so many people now have these seeds. I consider it new because it is not well known and is not widely grown, yet. It is not available for purchase by any vendors.

In reading through threads that discuss 'Daniel Burson', I have noticed that there are a lot of conflicting reports. Some report this as a late tomato, others say mid-season. Some say prone to disease and others have no problems. Fruit size differs as well.

The purpose for this thread, as stated, is to see how this variety performs in different locations. Perhaps it is a late season in one place and a mid-season in another. Is it full of disease in hot or cold weather, or is it really no problems at all? This tomato has not been discussed much at all and I think that this thread will help people to define this tomato variety and then decide if they would or would not care to grow it.

After offering 72 packs of seeds to my fellow T'villian's, I would like to know how it performs for them.
Old April 8, 2016   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Have you grown any other blacks to compare it with? Just curious. Also thanks for the seeds, I'm pretty sure I got my seeds in the MMMM.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #9
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Have you grown any other blacks to compare it with? Just curious. Also thanks for the seeds, I'm pretty sure I got my seeds in the MMMM.
Your are more than welcome for the seeds. I am happy that you are growing them.

I have grown many blacks over the years. Last year I grew Indian Stripe PL, Bear Creek, CP, Amazon Chocolate, BKX, Paul Robeson, Dwarf Wild Fred and Rosella Purple right along with Daniel Burson. So DB was not the only dark tomato I had growing. For me, it produced mid-season right along with the others. It was the most productive of me for the group, although I did not keep records. It was also by far my favorite tomato of the season. Nothing could beat it last year. CP was close, but they are different flavor profiles.
Old April 9, 2016   #10
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I had weird year last year so repeat is warranted. I had some black varieties that were fantastic and some that went out as a light... DB was the latter.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

No prior comparisons here. But I am growing the following in the same bed:

-- DB
-- IS (RL)
-- Black From Tula
-- CP
I have grown the latter 2 in the past and BFT has out performed CP.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Sharon, thanks for the kind words. I am feeling pretty good.

I agree with Carolyn that this is a very good tomato that Bill has given us and deserves to be grown by more people. That is why I offered this tomato this year in the 2015 MMMM and in my seed offer here at T'ville. I sent out 72 packs of Daniel Burson seeds this year. I am quite happy that so many people now have these seeds. I consider it new because it is not well known and is not widely grown, yet. It is not available for purchase by any vendors.

In reading through threads that discuss 'Daniel Burson', I have noticed that there are a lot of conflicting reports. Some report this as a late tomato, others say mid-season. Some say prone to disease and others have no problems. Fruit size differs as well.

The purpose for this thread, as stated, is to see how this variety performs in different locations. Perhaps it is a late season in one place and a mid-season in another. Is it full of disease in hot or cold weather, or is it really no problems at all? This tomato has not been discussed much at all and I think that this thread will help people to define this tomato variety and then decide if they would or would not care to grow it.

After offering 72 packs of seeds to my fellow T'villian's, I would like to know how it performs for them.
Yes, there are a lot of conflicting reports since not everyone grows it in the same year, and it depends on how they grow their tomatoes, sprawling,staked,trellis,container, and what amendments they use and which ones, and how much and when.

And most important for many is the weather in any one season,

So that's why there will never be consensus on DTM's,which really, are sheer guesstimates. No consesus on foliage diseases since not every year are those in the air and raindrops.

I can take one variety form the SSE Yearbooks where lots of folks have listed it, and I've done this before to make a point, and list the state where someone grew it and the DTM they reported. Highly variable results,which doesn't surprise me at all.

I've done many taste testings here and there over the years, and the last one was up here where I now live, and there can be more than one person bringing fruits of the the same variety and they can differ as well as to taste and subtle coloration as well.

And why is that? Aside from all the variables I listed above, which way is the garden oriented,is it flat,on a slope and facing which way, how much sun does it get,and on and on.

I guess I'm perhaps the only person who doesn't see DB as being a black, but I've only seen pictures, so will have it grown for me this summer from seeds that Bill Jeffers sent me and there will be a few other so called blacks out there as well, for comparison,such as Black Amber,Slovenian Black and an experimental black cherry multiflora..

Here's a link that IMO is well worth looking at and G Gordon Gumbo is Travis, is Bill Jeffers

http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=60863

Hope the above helps,

Carolyn
Old April 9, 2016   #13
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, thank you for introducing or helping to introduce so many wonderful tomatoes. I got my information from the above link after it was mentioned in several posts here at TV and read your feedback as well as that of others. It was too tempting not to try.
I have grown CP, BK, BFT, Margaret Curtain and Indian Stripe. I am a huge fan of Indian Stripe. It does well in my climate. This year, along with DB, I am growing Cherokee Carbon, ISPL, Spudatula and Carbon Copy. I'm not having great germination with Spudatula, only one so far out of 9. But DB germinated quickly and is growing nicely. I really look forward to growing this one!
Old April 15, 2016   #14
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

So update. Yesterday was transplant day and all my seedlings went into 4" pots. Originally I was only going to grow 3 Daniel Burson, but one seedling looked so strong, I caved in and potted up one more! They are looking very healthy. Frankly, they are doing better than ISPL - they germinated faster and look stronger.
Old April 15, 2016   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Some of you have been referring to DB as a so called black. But Wed night I had a long phone chat with Bill and told him that and he said no way is it a black

Daniels is pink with a clear epidermis and Indian Stripe also has a clear epidermis as well, as I had already known but wanted him to confirm it,whichhedid.

He said he has referred to it in the past as being a kind of maroon color.

That took about 10 mintutes to resolve that one but we talked for almost two hours about other issues, and all on my nickle.

I've known Bill since about maybe 2000, so when he called I softly said is this Hoosier Cherokee,since that's the user name he had back then,but now he has many user names.

And one of the longest chats was about the seeds he sent to me for my seed offer and I think that 3 are entirely new. So now I have to revise my own list of varieties I want to have grown for me this summer.

Carolyn