Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 5, 2012   #121
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if Lisa read this ...

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #122
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

If she does, I'm sure she thinks we're all a bunch of nuts! (And she might be a little right)
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012   #123
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

i know with all the talk about mayberry im sorry to dissapoing everyone but none of my mayberry cherries germinated.. i know things are a bit slower pace in mayberry but i planted them about 6 weeks ago
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012   #124
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Default Barney ruins Aunt Bee's tomato plans

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get any of them up. Not to make light of your disappointment but when I read that I saw this scene in my head with Barney and Andy where Barney was supposed to grwo some plants for Aunt Bee but none of the seed came up.

For some reason I had to write it down and see where it went. (I know.... Strange )

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #125
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JereGettle View Post
… Me and my grower really liked this tomato...

I really don't care who does or who does not....

I only go by what we like!
That's important. If you just go by what other people like, you might attract a bunch of people that don't agree with you, and have a harder time relating to your loyal customers who like your products. I enjoy your store quite a bit, myself (as does just about everyone I've talked with).

It's definitely possible that taste subjectivity is the case here. Many people like different things. I like the taste of both raw and cooked large zucchini. I'm guessing not everyone would agree. I'm not a huge fan of the Brandywine-type tomato taste, either, compared to other kinds of tomato taste. My tomatoes don't have to taste like classic tomatoes to taste good, either. If they tasted like peaches, I would be fine with that and think it was awesome. To some people, that might be an outrage. However, there are at least two more possibilities than peoples' tongues differing here.

It seems to me that many tomatoes actually taste significantly different in different growing conditions. So, it's also possible that you all would actually agree with each other about the taste of the particular tomatoes grown (rather than the kind of tomato as a whole), and just don't know it.

Both of the best-tasting tomatoes I've tried have the ability to taste much different (and not-so-best-tasting) under different conditions (even in the same climate). However, I've read a lot of reviews for tomatoes, and it seems from what I've read that many tomatoes that taste great in the desert don't taste so great in say Washington, Pennsylvania, or South Carolina, and vice versa.

Also, soil nutrients and moisture levels can affect taste. Light (or the lack of it) can, too. Different tomatoes like different stuff. Some people act like all tomatoes need the same care for optimum results. This isn't true (at least in the first generation grown in those conditions, if not some of the following generations).

Another possibility is that specific strains sold at different stores just taste different.