Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old September 21, 2015   #1
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Default Gardening in Straw Bales

I just finished Craig's new book, and have posted the review. His book will be out December 29, 2015.

When gardening guru Craig LeHoullier comes out with a new book, there is great anticipation and high expectations. I am happy to see that he has met those expectations.

Gardening in straw bales has become very popular in the last few years because elderly, disabled, children, urban gardeners, and people who can only garden on a driveway or patio would like to start gardening. Gardening is now possible for these groups of people.

I have a few must haves for How-to books, crafting books, cookbooks, or gardening books. First, talk to me like an Idiot. I must have detailed and explicit instructions, without any missing steps. I really hate it when I invest time and money in a project, and then fail because an author assumed I was more knowledgeable. Each of the steps, in preparing the bales for planting, is clearly stated, and the pictures show exactly what I need to do.

My second must have is that the book must have information for both the beginner, and the experienced gardener. This book covers ground for the beginner, but has plenty of tips for even the most experienced gardener.

He clearly states the pros and cons of gardening with bales. I need to know if this is something that I want to do, and whether it is worth the expense and time.

I have been curious about straw bale gardening, and will be adding the straw bales to my regular garden.

This book should be part of every passionate gardener's library. Especially those with disabilities (no bending and easily reached from a wheelchair), children, elderly, urban gardeners (only a driveway or a tiny concrete backyard), and patio gardeners (you haven't lived till you have carried giant bags of dirt up two flights of stairs to a third floor for an earthbox),

This book is a Must Have for my gardening library.
Old September 21, 2015   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a good book, and I agree- give all the details in a process!!

I shall have to budget for this book and try to get it soon.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2015   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Not trying to be negative at all, but if one Googles "straw bale gardening" there is a wealth of FREE information from universities, seed companies, gardeners....
There really isn't a whole lot to it. Hauling heavy bales and disposing of them every year is a tiresome task, but added height and relative ease of set up and maintenance are positive aspects. Pros and Cons for everything.
An older friend of mine did this for the first time this year and it is working out well for him.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2015   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

It's certainly a valid comment, rhines81 (I am the author of the book!) - but your comment applies for pretty much anything and everything. When asked to write a book by a publisher, it's a rather nice gesture - especially when writing becomes the follow on career (as in my case).

Taking your comment to an extreme, the need for books pretty much dissipates - but thankfully for those of us who do write, there will always be folks who will prefer a book to surfing the web and wading through such an ocean of information. Plus, writing books rightly or wrongly lead to a degree of credibility (hopefully what is written is based upon direct experiences, and each of us may do things differently and document them differently) - and that can lead to opportunities to speak. That, to me, is where the real fun is - getting up and in front of and among other gardening enthusiasts.

My view - each of us has a choice - surf, find, buy, read, write - what a great world we live in!
Old September 21, 2015   #5
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Sounds like a good book, and I agree- give all the details in a process!!

I shall have to budget for this book and try to get it soon.
I don't think you will have budget much for this book. I just checked Amazon, and the Kindle download price is very reasonably priced at $4.99, and the paperback version at $8.95.

It comes out Dec. 29, at the exact time all of us gardeners will be needing our winter reading boost.

Even though I got to read it first, I would like a keeper, so I'll be getting my own copy.

Last edited by LoreD; September 22, 2015 at 06:59 AM.
LoreD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I think what Craig brings to the subject, aside from the point that everything you need to know is in one place, is his expertise in the subject. Craig has the expertise and ability to present the subject authoritatively and coherently in a book that is inexpensive. Versus spending countless hours on the internet, maybe getting good, reliable information, maybe not. It will be nice to have his book ready to be opened when a question comes up, or information is needed. I am going to place my order now.
Old September 22, 2015   #7
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
I think what Craig brings to the subject, aside from the point that everything you need to know is in one place, is his expertise in the subject. Craig has the expertise and ability to present the subject authoritatively and coherently in a book that is inexpensive. Versus spending countless hours on the internet, maybe getting good, reliable information, maybe not. It will be nice to have his book ready to be opened when a question comes up, or information is needed. I am going to place my order now.

I'm interested for several reasons- I like books as well as searching up things on the 'net, and after reading many of his posts about seed starting and watching the video's, he has a style of presenting information that I am comfortable with and absorb readily.

His credibility and reputation are also very good, and in a world where information can be easily obtained but sometimes not as easily verified, it's a matter of trusting who has correct information.

And, I like to collect first/firsts for my personal library, though on a limited scale.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015   #8
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I'm interested for several reasons- I like books as well as searching up things on the 'net, and after reading many of his posts about seed starting and watching the video's, he has a style of presenting information that I am comfortable with and absorb readily.

His credibility and reputation are also very good, and in a world where information can be easily obtained but sometimes not as easily verified, it's a matter of trusting who has correct information.

And, I like to collect first/firsts for my personal library, though on a limited scale.
I agree. I would rather pay a nominal fee and receive information from a respected source, rather than sorting through lots of websites. I'll pay the $4.99, and it is all set up for me.

I let Craig do the heavy lifting on the research and testing.
Old September 23, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have a few things to say about the internet and information.
Since I have several things I know how to do from welding and machine work to lord knows what.
I have found many things to be flat out wrong not in method but in the practice all together.
If I didn't know this I would do as these people said to do not knowing it was wrong.
Then there is the ever growing relentless advertising and pop ups on web sites these days.

I would much rather have a book that Craig wrote knowing he is the kind of person that knows not everything works everywhere.
As apposed to information from someone in Nebraska telling me how to do something in Texas from a Nebraska point of view.
Then many times these people are just redoing miss information.
As for the straw bail thing, from one year to the next I have no idea what a bail will cost.
One year here a bale of alfalfa cost $60 a cheap bale of weed hay was $10.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The farm store here charges $7 for a bale of straw. My family bought a trailer-load from a local farmer for $3 per bale. I am looking forward to trying straw bale gardening.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2015   #11
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Has not many books on the subject already been written? I heard from many it works well.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2015   #12
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
The farm store here charges $7 for a bale of straw. My family bought a trailer-load from a local farmer for $3 per bale. I am looking forward to trying straw bale gardening.
My gardening friend and I have doing fairly well with straw bales over the last couple of years.

We look around in the fall for businesses that put up Halloween decorations, and want them hauled away on Nov. 1. We got about 40 bales, for free, from some car dealerships. This year we found a store that had marked down the bales to $2, and we bargained them down to $20 for 32 bales.

We put them by his garage, put a tarp over them, and bring them out in the spring. We also find them sitting on the side of the road, in the weeks after Halloween.
Old November 19, 2015   #13
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

I like surfing the web and reading books. I have read more in the internet this year (thousands of hours) more than I have read Craig's book by about two and a half hours, lol! My book looks like a primary school scribbler at the end of the year. Notes everywhere. References to other pages. References to Carolyn's book! I guess I am a little obsessive in both areas of knowledge transfer.

I love knowledge. Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light. If light is knowledge I really don't care whether I crack a good book (like Craig's and Carolyn's) or take a crack at the internet! ;-)

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #14
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

I've been an internet junky all my life and jobs, and have come to realization that most internet How-To articles are either superficial, infomercial, or just trying to attract views on gardening sites like Sunset, BHG, etc with pretty pictures and not enough information. I do, however, enjoy very much books published by Sunset and BHG.

Craig's Epic Tomato is my epic gardening book of the year. It covers everything a newbie needs to know, didn't know to know, and the layout & photos are just fantastically beautiful. I've read a few books on straw bale / no till gardening, and would still love to read Craig's take on the subject.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2015   #15
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just had the idea of selling bales of straw with two established dwarfs in them. It would make an eye-catching market display. I could deliver the bales locally.

I thought this would be a good place to throw out the question: in US dollars, what do you think the value of such a product would be? I was thinking $40-50, but I would be interested in anyone else's thoughts and comments.

The trend in gardening is convenience over thrift. I think people would pay a premium price to have a garden without having to do hardly any work.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote