Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 19, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default No Flowers

Out of 80' of potatoes planted (40' Red LaSoda and 40' Kennebec) - only two flowers. I'm thinking this is due to the almost every day heavy rains in May. (30+ inches of rain here in May.) The soil is well organically adjusted sandy loam on the top of a hill that drains beyond well. If there was ever a water puddle in this garden - I would have already built a really large boat with two of each animals on board.

We plant in Early February and always have lots of flowers in late April and early May. Flowers on the Red LaSoda have always meant that small new potatoes were ready to be harvested. Missed that this year.

Tomorrow or this weekend, is time to dig up our potatoes because the plants are showing all the signs of being ready. The plants are looking miserable like they always do by mid June. Yesterday (Wednesday), we got three-and-six-tenths inches of rain. I have no idea what to expect this year, but I'm guessing that since there was no flowering - might mean a poor crop?

Over the previous 4 years, we got very good returns, but they always flowered. Not this year. I'll take pictures even if there is nothing.

I thought I had potato growing...understood - not quite "down pat" but this year...
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote