Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 10, 2007   #1
tomatoaddict

Default Sungold, SG Select, SG Select II

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the difference is between Sun Gold Select and SG Select II? Also, the Red Sun Gold Select II.
I'm starting to get confused with all the selections. I do know that the Sun Gold original is a Hybrid. Also, taste opinions on them.8)
Thanks
Old September 10, 2007   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I don't know the full story....the quickie version is thus -

Yes, Sungold is a hybrid, but is proving to be a bear to successfully dehybridize (get an OP version with the same distinct flavor - as well as color, size, etc of course). Reinhard Kraft, in Germany, and others came up with good approximations - the first called Sungold Select, and a supposed improvement on that called Sungold Select II. Because Sungold, when trying to dehybridize, throws occasional red fruited seedlings, these occasionally pop up when growing Sungold Select and SS II - I suspect that is where Red Sungold Select comes from.

Hope that helps!
Old September 11, 2007   #3
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2007   #4
tomatoaddict

Thanks Craig for the info. Not to confuse the issue, but where does Big Sungold fit in?
Old September 11, 2007   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the difference is between Sun Gold Select and SG Select II? Also, the Red Sun Gold Select II.
I'm starting to get confused with all the selections. I do know that the Sun Gold original is a Hybrid. Also, taste opinions on them.8)
Thanks
I've grown Select, and tasted Select II at TP. Select II seems to be closer in taste to Sungold. But Sungold is still the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
where does Big Sungold fit in?
I grew Big Sungold this spring, and it really is quite different in taste, size and plant habit as compared to Sungold (F1), and the Selects. Larger fruits, around Tangella sized. Taste is good, somewhat like what I'd imagine a Tangella/Jaune Flammee cross to be like. A bit on the compact side for an indet, maybe gets 5-6 feet tops.

I got my seeds from Deer Park; all I know about it is he got his seeds from R. Kraft, and it is an OP selection from Sungold (I think).

http://mitglied.lycos.de/rkraft/Toma...ig-Sungold.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big+sungold+1.jpg (71.4 KB, 10 views)
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote