Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 30, 2011   #16
organichris
Tomatovillian™

I put a few in the earth yesterday, and glad I did. Its cool today, but its supposed to start warming up.

I sold a few plants yesterday too. A bystander (not a buyer) made the comment to the lady purchasing, "Isn't it too early?" I let her know that it, in fact, was not.

organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2011   #17
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

I have a cold weather plan. I have a structure (yard swing frame but pvc hoops can support a row cover) and plastic sheeting and extension cord and flood light to provide heat. I planted 2 weeks ago in Wichita Falls, TX with the mesquite trees still bare with this plan. But since, the trees have shown their green leaf sprouts. Spring is here. If a blue northern comes from nowhere, I'm ready. Too effort in this to not have a PLAN.

My extra seedlings (11) I gave to the Mom and Pop store in our hood to do with as he pleased. My idea was to give a tom plant with a donation to a charity. They always have a jar for somebody at the cashier. I even typed up some instructions on what they were and how to care for them until planting.
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2011   #18
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Freaking got down to 31 this morning. The plants weren't covered. Some of the young, tender guys took a licking, but they are still kicking. I should have been prepared for it, and I was (sort of), but I neglected to follow through.
Old March 31, 2011   #19
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Rootbound plants? That's what I strive for. Even after transplanting, I want a healthy, but fairly compact root system.

If I have very heavy rains, spread out roots could draw up much more water, which could translate to bland tasting tomatoes.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2011   #20
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Rootbound plants? That's what I strive for. Even after transplanting, I want a healthy, but fairly compact root system.

If I have very heavy rains, spread out roots could draw up much more water, which could translate to bland tasting tomatoes.

Tormato
Hmmm...never thought of this, but it sounds reasonable. I wonder if anyone else would like to weigh in here. My aim has always been to produce complex and deep root systems to help with the hot summers. I have heard that lots of rain can adversely affect flavor, but I've never experienced this personally - at least not to my knowledge.
Old March 31, 2011   #21
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Just my experience but I dont worry about too much rain or overwatering to the detriment of flavor. I do hold back watering as much once the fruit starts to ripen and then only water once a week just to keep them healthy. Getting too much rain in June,July, and August is not a problem in Eastern Oklahoma. Watering everyday will make the plants expect it and will dilute flavor. My best tasting tomatoes always come from plants that are somewhat water deprived and stressed in midsummer. Just my opinion YMMV

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2011   #22
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

And I know that around here, once a week would result in a dead garden, the combination of hot dry weather, and soil that is technically "fine sandy loam" but looks more sand than anything, that looks no different at least to about 8 feet deep, and is for all practical purposes bottomless, it just doesn't hold enough water. One thing I'm going to try this year though is sweet potatoes, they are supposed to like well drained soil.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #23
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Know the area you live in. If you don't know ask old timers when it's safe to plant. The least desirable solution is to get your average last frost date and add 2-3 weeks. Around here if you plant on May 15th you won't have to worry about frost. So, I count backwards 7 weeks from May 15th and sow the seeds then.

For some areas including those with micro climates you might have to seek alternative methods. For instance WOW (Wall 'O Water) or the old hot caps, etc.

BTW, I almost forgot to issue my standard. They'll grow out of it. Even if they're a little root bound, just score the roots a bit and they'll grow out of it.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2011   #24
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

In Texas, the mesquite trees tell us when to plant without worry of a freeze. They do not show any green leaf shoots until the danger of frost/freeze is passed. They bloomed last week. They are always right. Old wives tale, maybe but I've heard it all my life and I'm 60. Seen it time after time.
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote