Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 8, 2016   #31
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Marsha,

Thanks so much for clearing that up!! I don't feel quite so bad now that it hadn't quite lived up to my expectations.

Out of my big bed of 14 tomatoes, seems like I've got at least 3 "NOTS" so far:

not Mule Team
not Carbon
not Lee's Sweet

Guess that's about par for the course . Just hope there aren't any more surprises in the garden!

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016   #32
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi Marsha,

Thanks so much for clearing that up!! I don't feel quite so bad now that it hadn't quite lived up to my expectations.

Out of my big bed of 14 tomatoes, seems like I've got at least 3 "NOTS" so far:

not Mule Team
not Carbon
not Lee's Sweet

Guess that's about par for the course . Just hope there aren't any more surprises in the garden!

Anne
Anne, do not feel bad, please. Once in a blue moon NOTs are the best discoveries.
Last year my NOT Carbon turned to be quiet tasty and productive, pink excellent taste.
I am growing it again. The plant is huge already. I hope it will taste as good.
Good luck with your seasons temps. Here it is definitely something different. Hot.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2016   #33
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I'd rather have a "Not" that tastes good than an "Is" that is not that good. Except that I have a Not Rebel Yell that is disappointing, plus the fruits are saladettes, not the big ones which I prefer. Oh well. At least I have one real RY so 1 out of 2 ain't bad.
My Lee's Sweet is pumping out huge ones but everyone who has eaten it has commented on the watery mild taste.
Oh, one more "Not" I have is Vincent's White, also from J & L. Beautiful plant, huge fruits that are taking forever to ripen but 1 finally did...it started out whitetish, I was excited, then as I was pondering when I should be picking it, I noticed that it was turning a pale red. I waited till it was completely colored and have yet to taste it. I'll try it tomorrow.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2016   #34
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ella and Peebee,

Interesting comments about the "Nots." I'm going to give the so called "Lee's Sweet" one more try and if I can find no redeeming qualities (huge production and large size don't count in this instance ), I'm going to yank the plant out. I had one in a BLT yesterday and actually disliked it. Funny how I liked it at first taste (first red/pink tomato of the season reputed to be wonderful), to thinking it was sort of ordinary, to now not-quite hating it ! Goes to show how impressionable I am !

I'm already running out of things to do with the tomatoes I've been harvesting - even after throwing out a lot due my garden flooding and a recent battle with hornworms. I've still got jars and jars of tomato sauce and bags of whole tomatoes in the freezer from last year. No sense taking up space with a plant I don't need and don't even like! Maybe this is a case where it's better to have a "naught" than a "not" (sorry for the bad pun).

OTOH, the Not Carbon is actually quite good and very prolific. I don't have a clue as to what it might be as it doesn't really resemble anything I have seeds for. The seeds came from a new seed supplier who, now that I think about it, also provided the Not Mule Team seeds. If it's not too late in the season, I may just start a few more Carbon and Mule Team seeds from them to see if they are the right thing. The other seeds I got from them seem to be correct.

Ella, I checked out your NJ garden thread and have been meaning to post. Wanted to say that your tomatoes look great (except for the diseased one )! You certainly have alot of interesting varieties! I guess they should be ripening up before too long. Looking forward to hearing about how they all taste .

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #35
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I tasted the Not Vincent's White today and it was really good! I'm mystified though, as to why this single one ripened, and the rest of the big fruits on the plant are nowhere near ripening. Strange. Oh, and it is pink not "pale red" as I described earlier. I suppose a dark pink can look like a pale red .

Tried to look up Lee's Sweet for images but nowhere to be found. The ones I have look sort of mottled, not a uniform coloration. Is this a fairly new variety, hence the lack of pictures?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #36
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Anne, keep us posted with many pictures.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote