Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 18, 2010   #1
pete
Tomatovillian™

Default Amazon chocolate ??

Is amazon chocolate a potato leaf or regular???

I started 4 plants and got 2 of each.??

Pete
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010   #2
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Looks like there are both read down in this post and the history is given:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...azon+chocolate

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

After you read the link in the above post you might want to go to Tania's data base to her page on Amazon Chocolate where she gives the history, discusses the two leaf forms and also suggests that the variety is not genetically stable b'c folks are seeing two leaf forms and different fruit sizes. I saw the same when checking those who list this variety in the SSE YEarbook.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Amazon_Chocolate

You might want to save her site to your faves b'c she features information for about 3000 different tomato varieties.
Old May 18, 2010   #4
pete
Tomatovillian™

Thankyou, I guess that is a great reason, thought I messed up starting the seed, in the ground they go!!!!

thanks again, pete

Put the site in my favorites star
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Someone local gave me a few seeds - came up PL, and I am going to grow it out to see what I get.
Old May 19, 2010   #6
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Pete

I bought my first of these about 4 years ago, they were supposed to be P.L but 1 in 4 were R.L. They all taste good and produce a nice sized slicer that is one of my favorite blacks. Last year they produced equal amounts of R.L. to P.L. and came in second on my listing of favorites, beating even my favorite, Cowlick's Brandywine (#9).
Good Luck with them and I hope you like them as much as I do.
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

The big issue for variety/history purists like me is that a tomato variety can only be one thing - PL or RL. Leaf type mixes mostly indicate crosses or mix ups, so keeping two leaf varieties for a particular name just really messes things up...the ideal would be to confirm which leaf type is authentic, keep the name for that, and give the other leaf type a completely different name (IF it is stabilized) to avoid future confusion!
Old May 19, 2010   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

Amazon Chocolate came up 100% regular leaf for me and I planted over a dozen seeds. None made it to the garden as all were inferior to other black tomato transplants at plant out time. Too disease prone (a little early blight and a spot of septoria on lower leaves) and not very vigorous, at least from the seeds I had. The person who sent me the seeds said Amishland was the original source, but I'd have to double check whether they came through other gardens on the way to his.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

OK, First listing in SSE yearbook was 2007 and was PL. 2009 was the first year that the RL version appeared in the Yearbook. I got my seeds from Looney Linda who grew it in 2008 (seed from Amishland) and my 2009 grow out was RL. I didn't ask Linda if her 2008 grow out was PL or RL. Maybe I will ask her just to confirm. Ami
Old May 19, 2010   #10
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Had to double check mine to make sure.Mine are all RL. But from what Camo has told it really is not a factor for flavor and size wise. Looking forward to trying them.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #11
Suze
Tomatovillian™

My understanding is that Amazon Chocolate was supposed to be PL, but that it could occasionally throw an RL or something to that effect. In any case (and I'm definitely no expert on this variety) since I was under that impression and also because the person (a long-time SSE lister) who sent me the seeds listed it as PL, well, that is what I've selected for.

However, I can't recall for sure if I even got any RL seedlings the first time I grew it, but I'm thinking either I didn't or it was low % and I culled those few and only potted up PL to grow on.

In my garden, it is a very good to great tasting variety, indet, but slightly on the compact / stocky side. Avg production of med-lg (mostly under a pound) dark beefsteaks with a yellow epidermis, not like other PL darks I've grown before.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote