Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 8, 2011   #1
frogwash
Tomatovillian™

Default Clear cups?

Hello. Last year I used 24 ounce styrofoam cups for potting up my seedling, but these take up a bit of space on my bathroom counter. Yesterday I was at the market getting some little cups to start my seeds in and while I was there I saw the Solo Red Plastic Cups that so many here use for potting up their seedlings and which I was planning on using this year but next to them they now had clear and "NEW" orange tinted clear versions of the same cups. I kind of like the idea of the clear because this would allow me to see what's going on with the roots, not that I know what difference this would make to me. Are there any good reasons not to use the clear or moreso the clear orange?
Old February 8, 2011   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I remember a similar post in the last year and the answer was negative regarding the clear containers because the roots don't like light or something. Suggestions were given, if I recall correctly, for painting the cups, covering with paper, etc.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #3
frogwash
Tomatovillian™

I couldn't find a thread about roots not liking light. Also, if they don't like light, is it all wavelengths? Hence would a clear orange or clear green cup be ok?
Old February 8, 2011   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm hoping someone else will come to your rescue here because I don't know. I did some seaches for clear plastic containers, clear plastic cups, etc. but came up empty...sorry.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #5
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Usually you get algae from the clear cups that can rob the plants of the minerals and such in the soil. Some say clear pots create a greenhouse type effect and can build up heat.causing root damage. IDK really. If you really want to be able to check out the roots I guess you could use both just place the clear inside the regular party cups just put drain holes in both. then you can just pull out the clear one to see the roots.
Old February 8, 2011   #6
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

I remember reading an article last year about using clear containers . I'm not sure where I found the information,
but the bottom line was that roots don't do good with light . I'm not sure about the clear orange cup, I would suggest going with a darker color such as red ,blue or green. Wish I could remember where I saw the article.
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #7
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I know I have seen pictures on here of people using clear cups for seedlings with good results but I have also read articles that roots do not like light. I wonder since seedlings are so hardy that it does not have as much of a negative at the seedling stage but would cause more problems long term. I opt for square pots but have used the red solo cups with no issues. I think as long as you keep the moisture levels correct with the seedlings you can expect the roots are doing fine and should not have to see the development to know they are doing good.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #8
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Last year I used clear cups for transplanting, and I had no trouble w/algae or the roots getting to much light or damage...They did fantastic..I liked seeing the root developement and the soil absorbing water..Or if the soil was dry between waterings etc...
I am sticking with clear cups ....
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #9
frogwash
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the replies! I did try searching on the interweb and for some reason if you put "roots" and "light" or "dark" the results mainly have to do with coloring your hair.

Anyhow, when I was a kid I remember my mama doing avocado seeds and lots of other stuff in jars with water in the kitchen window and that didn't seem to matter, so part of me just says go ahead and use the clear cups... but I'd really hate to mess up my seedlings if I'm wrong and have to start over or go all year with stunted or damaged plants. The two cup, clear in a dark is probably the best idea so far, but now it's seeming like that'll just give me extra work for a little bit of curiosity.

I really wish that I had not noticed those orange clear cups.
Old February 10, 2011   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

K-mart for about $2 gets about 7 dozen 9 ounce "frosted" drink cups. I drill one hole in the bottom and have had no problems with algae or anything else for the last three years.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote