Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 24, 2010   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default Germination testing - first time and ?s

I've been reading, but just to be sure - in order to do some germination testing, I put 10 seeds in a folded damp paper towel, inside a sealed ziploc bag. I put it where it should be warm-ish (heat register nearby, not directly on it of course).

Is that right?

How soon might I see sprouts? And when do I consider it's as good as it will be - 10 days?

Thanks again from the newbie!
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010   #2
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Sounds good... I usually place the seeds on top of the damp paper towel(s) inside of the baggie (instead of between the towel layers.) That way you don't have to unfold/refold the paper towel or open the baggie to check germination.

At 70-75 degrees all should sprout well within the 10 days you mentioned, unless the seed is too old or has been stored improperly. Some varieties may take longer, but, personally, I have never had any variety take longer than 10 days.

Last edited by Heritage; December 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010   #3
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

You should see root tips in 3-4 days (maybe 2 for quick ones) . I use thick folded toilet paper and don't cover the top. TP holds a lot more water so doesn't need the top sheet over the seeds. You can use a plastic wrap covered bowl or plastic clamshell cookie box, which is easier than pulling things out of a ziplock for observation, IMO.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2010   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Tam, I use 1X4 brown paper coffee filters (Unbleached) dampened with water and put in a ziplock as you have done. Normally for me at 70-75 deg F it takes 7-10 days.
Nice thing about the coffee filters is you can put them in front of a light to check germination without disturbing the seeds or opening the ziplock. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1243-1.jpg (93.7 KB, 22 views)
Old December 25, 2010   #5
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks

Merry Christmas!
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote