Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 22, 2011   #16
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

I grew tomatoes and peppers in my basement last year, and the peppers seemed fine at the lower temp. They would have done great if I hadn't gone on vacation or my house sitter had watered them... arg.
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #17
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Oh no. Oh bad. I'm sorry.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #18
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Oooh I'm excited - my little pepper plants are just starting to peek out of the start mix - yay DirecTV box.

I guess I'd better get my shelves and lights set up - looks like I'll need them soon.

My seed starting trays from Johnny's should arrive tomorrow - so I'll get started on my tomatoes soon.

Gotta go figure out the start dates on the chard and basil...
Old February 23, 2011   #19
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Tam - In terms of when to start your tomatoes, I can offer you some thoughts based on my experience. We're in the same area, so the last frost dates are similar - I may even be a week earlier here by the lake.

Last year I started tomatoes in two batches - "early" ones on March 9 and all the others on March 16. I intended to transplant on May 9. As it turns out that was really a full week or two TOO early. The nights were still cold and the plants suffered, IMO. By the time, I transplanted en masse, the plants had really become huge and nearly unmanageable. I had potted them up to 1 gal containers and many were 2-3' tall and beginning to flop.

If you're only starting a handful of plants and have the time and wherewithal to give them the TLC they will need come April/early May (e.g. moving them inside or undercover on cold nights, staking if necessary, etc.) you can get a jump on the season by starting your seeds early. Otherwise, you may want to consider waiting until late March to start them.

I've started my peppers already, but I think I'll wait on the tomatoes this year and plan to transplant them around Memorial Day. I won't have the super-earlies that I did last year, but I'll save a bit of my sanity

One other comment based on my limited experience: the tomatoes that mature in our cool, sometimes wet springs simply don't taste all that good. Some varieties that are bred for cooler climates were o.k., but overall I was disappointed.

In my experience, basil germinates very quickly. I had nearly 100% germination within a week. In terms of planting out, Basil likes it hot. My first "batch" last year, planted out in May struggled all season; the basil I planted out at the beginning of June grew like gangbusters.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #20
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Interesting that yours got so big. One greenhouse here started theirs in February and had a hot greenhouse (now those were too big!) and the other says they start theirs end of Feb, beginning of March - theirs were small to just right at planting time. Perhaps the temperature where they're growing has something to do with it?

I usually plant out around Mother's day. But I am in containers, and I can protect them if need be.

You're sure right on the basil - I didn't plant that out until the end of may. It did great last year - I plant lots of extras, as friends (and everyone else I seem to meet haha) wants some.