Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 8, 2011   #1
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

Default Germination rates

Last year was the first year that I seriously saved tomato seeds. I used the Oxiclean methods rather than fermentation as my helper who does the actual physical work would have had some problems in deciding what to do with the various steps.
So over the last couple of weeks we have been using the paper cone zip lock bag germination tests and with the exception of one tomato have been getting 95%! Im like a kid in a candy store.
I was amazed at how quickly some of them sprouted, and we then transferred some of the container varieties to pots-they literally grew 1½ inches in two days. So since we are 12 weeks away from being able to plant outside I guess they will transfer to the growbox and hope I do not run out of room.
I love the wealth of information available at this site. Thanks to everyone for such detailed information. Joan
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote