Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 10, 2014   #46
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Thank You, MissS, for the kind words and of course I can post recipes if anyone wants them!

Just a quick one today of my first tomato harvest

Left to right: BIG Lime Green Salad, Two Rosella Purples, a bunch of Sungolds and one Sweet Linda

Looking forward to a taste test soon!

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2014   #47
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

I hope everyone had a great weekend. We were busy in the garden trying to battle some of the grey mold this humid weather is bringing. On the plus side we got our first real "haul" of the summer.

The Siberian Giant Pink we picked came in at 1 pound on the button! Can't wait to taste it.

We tried our first Blush tomato and I think we finally have a variety that knocked the mighty Sungold out of first place for tasty cherries! Plus they are gorgeous to boot.

We had our first BLTs of the season. They were made with Rosella Purples who are definitely getting the invite back to the garden next year.

I started my second batch of fermented Kosher Dills because the first batch seems to have disappeared already! Definitely recommend the Mini White Cukes for this.

And finally, last night, we got to try out our Kamo eggplant. I made them with a miso glaze over Japanese rice with grilled peppers (Shi★★★★o & Jimmy Nardello). VERY delish!

Cheers!

Old July 14, 2014   #48
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Gorgeous and looks yummy. Are your shi★★★★os bitter at all? I wonder if im picking some of mine too small.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2014   #49
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Hey Ginny! Mine have not been bitter overall, but I find if I cook them too long (to where they start to lose their bright green color) they start to get a bit bitter. We have found them to be the most tasty when grilled briefly over high heat. Best of luck to you!

Old July 15, 2014   #50
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
What am I doing wrong with onions? I buy the sets and the nursery says they should be
baseball sized. This is my 3rd attempt and all I get is golf ball sized onions. The current
batch have been in the ground for five months. I'll be in the ground before they are ever
baseball sized!!
I resemble this quote very much and hope that someday I will lurch uncontrolably into the solution as I have tried many times to be a successful onion grower with poor to pitiful results.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2014   #51
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

While enjoying the nice weather this weekend (and treating several tomato aliments) I managed to pick this nice haul of garden goodness.

The Lime Green Salad has been a real winner for me this year. It will definitely be a re-grown for 2015.

We also started our 2014 batch of fermented hot sauce. There is a little bit a my water kefir in there as a starter and as the peppers come in we will just buzz them up with some more garlic and a little sea salt and add them to the mix.

Old July 21, 2014   #52
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Kelli, these are so delicious! You must be very busy picking, cooking and preserving
Love this time of the summer, when everything is ripening.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2014   #53
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I have never made fermented anything. I might need to try my hand at it
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2014   #54
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Tania!

Kat, you definitely should. It is easy and inexpensive to start. I would check out Alton Brown's recipe for fermented pickles That was the first one I tried my hand at and it worked really well!

Some how I managed to come down with walking pneumonia last week so I have been slacking in the garden department for a few days. Every time I walked through my kitchen, the slowly over ripening tomatoes would bother me, so i finally mustered up enough energy to deal with some of them.

I took some Sweet Linda and Blush cherry tomatoes and cut them in half. I dipped them in a mixture of red wine vinegar, fresh garlic, fresh oregano and sea salt and threw them in my dehydrator.

About 10 hours later they were dried out nicely. My husband announced they tasted amazingly like pizza, so I guess I will be making more before the season is out

Last edited by BucksCountyGirl; July 25, 2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old July 28, 2014   #55
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

The Cherries have been kicking into high gear. I am currently fermenting a bunch to make some bloody mary mix. Once they ferment a bit and I strain them out, I will add lovage, some aji lemon peppers and a bit of chives to complete. Will add pics when I get around to it

In other exciting garden news, my pit Mac decided to knock over one of my German Butterball buckets in a tennis ball frenzy. Since most of the plants got snapped off, the hubs and I decided to dig in and see what we could find. We were pleasantly surprised when we found these beauties!

We had planted .75 pounds of seed in this container and got 4.1 pounds (not including the strainer) in return for about a 5 1/2 times yield! We are pretty happy with that as a first try (that got prematurely "harvested" by our canine)!

The hubs declared them the "best potatoes ever" and is looking for more old trashcans so we can expand next year Can wait to see how the other containers turn out!

Last edited by BucksCountyGirl; July 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old July 29, 2014   #56
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

As promised, here is a picture of the tomatoes I am fermenting for bloody mary mix. I will run them through my food mill and use the solids (minus seeds and skins) for paste.

I also just had to share our dinner from last night. I took some more of those beautiful German Butterballs we harvested on Sunday and mashed them with a touch of black truffle butter. Then I served them with grilled lamb chops, gremolata and grilled shi★★★★o peppers. The hubs was VERY happy

Old July 29, 2014   #57
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Yummy! That's a great inspiration Kelli, thank you!
Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old August 1, 2014   #58
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Tania!

So the hubs and I took the tomatoes we were fermenting and ran them through my food mill. We poured the resulting (skin and seed free) goop through a cheese cloth and seasoned the liquid with some lovage, green onions and a fish pepper. We will let this mixture continue to ferment for our final bloody mary mix. The solids left over in the cheese cloth will be mixed with 1/4 it's weight in salt when fully drained and will be a nice alternative to tomato paste.

Last night for dinner, I picked our first Zolotistyi pepper (the big gold one), a few Jimmy Nardellos, a Big Beef, a couple of Sweet Sues and some green onions. I am very impressed with the Sweet Sues. They are super productive for a dwarf and we just love the taste. It starts out with big tomato flavor then finishes with a solid sweetness.

With all that I made some Cajun chicken rice. Both peppers were delicious in this and will definitely be returning to the garden next year!

Old August 1, 2014   #59
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Kelli, you are a master chef! I wish I could try some of your food masterpieces

Cheers,
Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old August 1, 2014   #60
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I have heard of fermented pickles, but hot sauce? Tell me more! Sounds intriguing! Do you blend it up somehow, or strain out the solids, or use it as is?
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote