Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2021   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default Mary Reynolds

My neighbor grew Mary Reynolds (an orange beefsteak) last year and I was quite amazed by both the fruits and the plants.

True Love seeds (where photo is from) describes it as an heirloom from Virginia.

I am surprised there is not more information out there on this variety. Please put your growing experiences here.

Old February 9, 2021   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I have not heard of it before, it does have some resemblance of Kellogg's Breakfast.

https://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_...breakfast.html
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2021   #3
ClarkB
Tomatovillian™

Fred - Quite a nice looking tomato. Would you mind elaborating on what you liked about it? Flavor, size, color, lack of cracking/blemishes, etc.?
ClarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2021   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkB View Post
Fred - Quite a nice looking tomato. Would you mind elaborating on what you liked about it? Flavor, size, color, lack of cracking/blemishes, etc.?
As a grower, I need fruits to combine firmness with flavor. Doesn't matter how good a tomato tastes if excessive bruising is an issue. After that the shape of the tomato is important. While many of us may be forgiving when it comes to monstrosities, chefs want tomatoes that are consistently shaped, with minimal core and without stems that are sunken too deeply. Minimal cracking is also good. Because we can't always water optimally.

Then, there are all of the plant vigor and disease resistance issues.

What was striking to me last year was that this tomato had great fruit characteristics. What I need to find out this year is how consistently it produces.
Old February 10, 2021   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown it myself but that is the sort of interior structure I really like in a beefsteak. It has the small locules that definitely contribute to a firmer tomato and something I also prefer even though I'm not a grower. I dislike large open locules as a rule in a slicer especially combined with thin septa and pericarp and lots of gel and seeds.
I like a slice that holds together with a smooth meaty center like that.
Karen O
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2021   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I agree, one my favorites to grow is KBX, it is a reliable producer for me and so delicious. Karen's description made me think of the KBX I sliced up last year, it kind of looked like a mango. Fred's point about pleasant firmness and not bruising a lot is a good point. I hope others who might have grown this chime in, judging by Google search it doesn't look like a lot is out there about this tomato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kbx2020.jpg (119.2 KB, 138 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2021   #7
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

108 / 5000
Výsledky překladu
I really like this tomato, I'll probably try it in 2022 as well. I'm looking for a replacement for Orange Strawberry and Amana Orange.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2021   #8
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying Momotaro Gold this year (new from Kitazawa Seeds). Love Momotaro so high hopes for this one.
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2021   #9
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Pic of one of my KBX a few years back is my avatar. This one was 1 once short of 2 lbs.

She gets grown every year without fail
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2021   #10
VenetoGardens
Tomatovillian™

I grew Mary Reynolds this year. It has a healthy plant and a good fruit set as heirlooms go. The taste is very balanced and nice. The look as Fred says is a winner for those people who don't want "ugly" tomatoes. A winner for future years.
VenetoGardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2021   #11
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenetoGardens View Post
I grew Mary Reynolds this year. It has a healthy plant and a good fruit set as heirlooms go. The taste is very balanced and nice. The look as Fred says is a winner for those people who don't want "ugly" tomatoes. A winner for future years.
I am glad to hear that it did well for you too!