Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 3, 2011   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
So perhaps White Currant, nee Ivory Currant, might be the same as Coyote

Carolyn, I have grown White Currant before and the fruit of White Currant is smaller than Coyote, but the fruit is very similiar in taste! Both are yummy!
All I know I posted in post #43 here, and that's that Craig initially listed Coyote as Ivory Currant and I said that maybe that morphed into the name White Currant and I have no idea of the true origin of White Currant at all.

Fruit sizes are not necessarily going to be a deciding issue as I see it b'c I know that I can grow the same cherry in different seasons and get different sizes depending on the weather, and that's just me with my soil, the way I grow tomatoes, etc.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/White_Currant

While Tania lists it as White Currant at that page she also says cherry and has no history at all either.

I just scooped up the 1990 Yearbook and no White Currant or Currant, White and I'm not in the mood to check other back issues, LOL but anyone who is an SSE member and uses the online Yearbook, which I don't, could check out when it first appeared and from where and by whom/

I still don't know the true origin of Champagne Cherry.
Old February 8, 2021   #47
mygrandmalucy
Tomatovillian™

Default Resurrecting Champagne

Adam, @farmall, this thread was from 11 years ago! I was wondering if you still have a great deal of Champagne seeds you might share? I'm trying to order some from Terry, but alas, the Champagne is out of stock and she's been quite generous in giving me out of stock seed already.

I have dear friends who are going through IVF, desperately trying to have their first baby; the husband is a winemaker, by trade. I am putting together a tomato garden for them, comprised entirely of tomatoes with wine and alcohol-related names.

Thank you so much for considering! I also have a couple very unique varieties I'd be happy to offer in trade.

Lisa Nelson
mygrandmalucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2021   #48
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I have Champagne Cherry seed listed on my site. I also have a page there with a couple of pics.

I haven't reread this whole thread so don't know if this is where we were discussing whether Champagne and coyote were the same or not. Personally I grew out 2 samples of coyote from different sellers and 2 or 3 samples of Champagne also from different places tho at least 1 Champagne and Coyote were from the same place. They are definitely not the same in my opinion. Frankly I didn't like the taste of Coyote at all, either sample, tho I do list it as people have different tastes.

One of the Champagne samples tasted much better than the others, sweet, not musky. That's the seed I kept growing and have listed.

I also list White Current but it's not the same as it's smaller.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote