Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 1, 2021   #31
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Dester and Brandywine Sudduth are way too good tasting to be reds. They're pinks.
Speaking of Dester, I did a cross with Dester several years back and stabilized it. Unbelievable taste, I broke it into two families, Small Pink and Old School. I'm going to send them out this fall, I am offering starts of them in our retail center this Spring. Oh yeah......
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2021   #32
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Yay AK Mark! Love your work!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2021   #33
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Here in Mississippi, the heat and humidity, and fungus, and nematodes make for interesting times when trying to grow tomatoes. My intent is not to disparage any variety, be they OP or hybrid, but I will say that Big Beef is absolutely the best all-around tomato that I have ever grown. It's decently early, VERY PRODUCTIVE, and has great disease resistance. We can argue the nuances of "flavor", or "taste" all day long, but Big Beef is my "go-to" tomato every year.

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2021   #34
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGardener23 View Post
I tend to love colorful, splashy, and unique tomatoes. As a consequence, I often realize too late in the season that I have neglected to plant many (or any) red tomatoes. As I plan for this season, I'm curious to know which red tomatoes are among your favorites/must-grows.

Cuostralee!!

And big beef, though they never get really a deep red they are my main production tomato.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2021   #35
solutus
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Speaking of Dester, I did a cross with Dester several years back and stabilized it. Unbelievable taste, I broke it into two families, Small Pink and Old School. I'm going to send them out this fall, I am offering starts of them in our retail center this Spring. Oh yeah......
Can't thank you enough for your passionate pursuit of tomato perfection!!

Also cannot wait for a chance to try out these seeds - thank you again
solutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2021   #36
littleukgarden
Tomatovillian™

My favourite red last year was a variety called Gourmandia (F1) not sure if it’s readily available in the US or other countries?
Good well balanced flavour, good production and versatile! Went on BLTs, in soup and sauce and was nice fresh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80A8DF99-8FCE-4BBE-8C02-001E7D59FD45.jpg (101.2 KB, 269 views)
littleukgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2021   #37
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

My favorites are Aker's West Virginia and Zogola, hands down
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2021   #38
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

My favorite the last two years running is Garrote Bicolor Aracenes, a Spanish heirloom
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2021   #39
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleukgarden View Post
My favourite red last year was a variety called Gourmandia (F1) not sure if it’s readily available in the US or other countries?
Good well balanced flavour, good production and versatile! Went on BLTs, in soup and sauce and was nice fresh!
Gourmandia F1 is probably a UK thing, perhaps by Thompson.

I wonder what the situation between US and UK is now that UK is not a member of EU any more. I mean in tomato seed exchange. Have there been any changes recently?
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2021   #40
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
So Mark, what did you cross the Dester with ? Is that the Bloody Butcher cross ?

Dan

Last edited by Yak54; March 19, 2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: More information
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2021   #41
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
So Mark, what did you cross the Dester with ? Is that the Bloody Butcher cross ?

Dan
We crossed Bloody Butcher, and other early producing varieties, into many quality heirlooms over the years. Bloody Butcher has proved to work very well, they are already flavorful, and are also very early. We have quite a bit of space to grow out many plants to get a good selection in each generation, that helps.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2021   #42
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My favorite it big beef. But out of seeds.
So this year I will grow Better Boy and Big Boy.plus Marclobe and Cuostralee.
Down South Big Beef Fights the heat Real well.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2021   #43
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Ok, disclaimer before I go on...I have only grown plants from commercially available seeds, meaning mostly hybrids.

That said, my favorite for size and flavor last year was Super Beefsteak from Burpee. I can't remember what cherry tomatoes I had last year, but they were really good. I had Early Girls (I think) as well, was not impressed with the size nor number of tomatoes I got. Seems that they only grew slightly bigger than the cherry tomatoes, and didn't have a lot of flavor.

This year I'm putting in 2 varieties of beefsteak, SB and Porterhouse.

I love my red tomatoes, but after reading a lot of posts here, and thinking about it, I believe I'll try a heirloom or two in different colors next year. I'm not a fan of the flavor of most yellow tomatoes, but might try some purple/blue ones.
D.J. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2021   #44
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

If you like beefsteaks try a pink heirloom beefsteak of which there are some really good ones.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2021   #45
littleukgarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
Gourmandia F1 is probably a UK thing, perhaps by Thompson.

I wonder what the situation between US and UK is now that UK is not a member of EU any more. I mean in tomato seed exchange. Have there been any changes recently?
Milan HP
Hi Milan, yes the Gourmandia were a Thompson & Morgan tomato, but still very good by UK standards!

As for situation with seeds from abroad, I had no problem receiving seeds from both Farmer Shawn and Craig in the USA and also Vertiloom and TomatoEden (Belgium and Poland I believe) this side of the new year, also know a friend who ordered and received seeds this week from Renaissance Farms - so either it’s not a huge problem when buying for personal use, or they just slipped through the net and we were lucky!

Know a lot of sites selling plant stock like dahlias/lilies/bulbs/fruit trees etc from abroad have stopped all orders to the UK though now
littleukgarden is offline   Reply With Quote