Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 30, 2010   #1
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Default Never Plant in May!

One reason why you should never plant in May around here:

May 28, 2010

Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

So Jeff, did you have anything out there planted?

We had snow here two weeks ago but then it went quickly and the next week we had temps in the high 80's and low 90's.

Freda planted out 26 of my tomatoes this past Wednesday, another 10 will be shipped up to me by Craig, I guess this week, and then just when I thought I had enough containers for all 36 Freda walked in yesterday with one plant each of Smarty F1 and Mountain Magic F1 b'c she saw how well they did last summer in a lousy year and decided that I needed to grow them this summer. She'd asked for some seeds I gave her enough for several years but when I asked how the germination was she said it was about 100% for both and she'd planted ALL the seed and I just blanched knowing how many seeds I gave her.

She calmly replied that she was going to sell them and I didn't have the nerve to ask her what my take was, although around here that's referred to as a finders fee.

She returns Monday AM to move two rose bushes that she doesn't think need moving but I do, and three short perennial asters that she doesn't want to plant where I want them, and then we battle over how many seeds to plant of the cukes and Lebanese squash I must have. Well, you get the picture, but without her to do all the gardening I'd have nothing. And each time she comes she brings in bouquets for me which I deeply appreciate. Yesterday it was some of my Lupines, some bleeding heart, a few columbines and some wild pink phlox and lots of pink pinks ( Dianthus), which are some of my fragrant faves.

Back to tennis from the French Open.
Old May 30, 2010   #3
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Oh my

I'm literally cooking in the 90F heat with 100% humidity, went to the garden at 6am this morning to avoid the heat (tied up the branches, clipped the suckers, etc) and I'm looking at your snow in almost disbelief! WOW!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010   #4
tedln

Yep, that photo looks like a beautiful vacation wonderland to me while I am baking in 97 degree temps and 80% humidity. Oh well, it only lasts for a few months and we do have the early mornings and late evenings for gardening chores.

Ted
Old May 30, 2010   #5
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Jeff,
I have much respect for you zone 3 gardeners. I'm not sure I could handle it.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010   #6
salix
Tomatovillian™

Hope not too much damage, Jeff. My SIL in Calgary and nieces (one of whom lives very close to you) were also caught by surprise. I think one of them had close to 3 inches of snow!! So far so good over here, just horrible winds from the North, and occasionally just for a change, East. Most of my plants are looking like windswept bonsai...
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010   #7
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

we had 7 inches in rain in the last month....Froze twice.
333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010   #8
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Ack! That looks just awful. When is your normal plant out date?
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010   #9
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

People normally say that the May long weekend (Victoria Day- a week before your Memorial Day) is when it is generally safe to plant out without risk of frost. However, last year we had snow on June 12 so it seems that my plant out date is being pushed into June!
I had to bring my plants into my kitchen for a couple of days to save them from the daytime highs of 2C (35.6F) over the weekend. My plants are not looking that great.
I did not leave them in the greenhouse because it was just too darn cold for them.
I will plant out in the greenhouse tomorrow and outdoors on the weekend.
Jeff
PS I have been watching in awe as the temperatures down East have soared to record highs...send some heat this way!!!!!!
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2010   #10
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

Didn't really bother these;

Here they are later....

They love it!
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2010   #11
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin View Post
People normally say that the May long weekend (Victoria Day- a week before your Memorial Day) is when it is generally safe to plant out without risk of frost. However, last year we had snow on June 12 so it seems that my plant out date is being pushed into June!
I had to bring my plants into my kitchen for a couple of days to save them from the daytime highs of 2C (35.6F) over the weekend. My plants are not looking that great.
I did not leave them in the greenhouse because it was just too darn cold for them.
I will plant out in the greenhouse tomorrow and outdoors on the weekend.
Jeff
PS I have been watching in awe as the temperatures down East have soared to record highs...send some heat this way!!!!!!
You need to get one of those halogen shop lights that sit on a little metal stand on the floor. They put out a lot of heat and will keep a small greenhouse warm. It may keep it to warm. You can also buy a small plug in timer to use between the wall socket or electrical cord and the shop light. Let it come on for five minutes every thirty minutes. I think small plug in thermostats are also available. Place the thermostat about ten feet in front of the light and set the temp you want to maintain.

Ted
Old June 3, 2010   #12
tedln

Earl,

What are the tall white containers in your first photo?

Ted
Old June 3, 2010   #13
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Ted, one-of-the-Earls here. I'll take a stab at your question. They should be styrofoam plant [frost/freeze] protectors as they look exactly like what I use. They work for me.

Ohio Earl
Old June 3, 2010   #14
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Ted, one-of-the-Earls here. I'll take a stab at your question. They should be styrofoam plant [frost/freeze] protectors as they look exactly like what I use. They work for me.

Ohio Earl
Earl,
I would love to have had some of those at the beginning of May this year! Have never seen or heard of them. Googled "styrofoam frost plant protectors" and came up empty...do you have a brand name, company, source, etc.? Thanks much!
kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2010   #15
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

kath -- They are called rose cones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...NNVFW246Z9TVE6
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote