Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old June 26, 2017   #16
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Great looking table. The product sells itself when it looks that good. Curious what kind of raspberries you grow? We grow a couple of different types of blackberries & may plant something else soon. Can you recommend any?
Old June 26, 2017   #17
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

this raspberry has no name. I bought a yellow one to try and it is the nicest red one I have ever grown. we are up to about a 30' row of them by just transplanting them. I plan to start another row of them as soon as I have enough. we had Carolines but they keeled over last year. they were looking really nice and as soon as they started ripening they withered and died. no idea what happened to them. maybe my husband oversprayed a spray on them? we usually spray calcium and maybe he had too much in the sprayer? we don't spray herbicides usually so I am thinking no drift from that. had a fire in March and had the entire fire dept in the back yard but I am positive that would have damaged them before Sept of last year if there was some run off of something. they were a great variety for us until then. I think it was something we did but no idea as to what.
we also have a short row of Autumn Bliss... they are showing the same issue as the Carolines but were a nice sized and tasting berry, too.
Old June 26, 2017   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That looks great Carolyn.
I am going to start berries soon when I get set up.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #19
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

If I grew raspberries I'd eat em all myself. So I guess I need to grow some!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
If I grew raspberries I'd eat em all myself. So I guess I need to grow some!
I dont plan on selling any.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #21
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Back in the day you could pick wild black rasberries all over NC. They were so delecious. I need to see if I can find some to dig up.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2017   #22
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Back in the day you could pick wild black rasberries all over NC. They were so delecious. I need to see if I can find some to dig up.
The black raspberries don't seem to grow in big patches in my area of Virginia. The red ones, though are everywhere! There are miles of patches if you know where to go. Blackberries are everywhere here no matter where you go. I picked 10 cups of red raspberries (enough to make jam) in about an hour. I didn't have to move more than 30 feet. Wild blackberries are just starting to come in. Can't wait to have some cobblers and make some jam.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote