Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old September 24, 2018   #31
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

Just google the Chili Pepper Institute. They are selling Heritage Big Jim's and Heritage New Mex. 6-4. They are like the original peppers which evidently change as years go by. Anaheims is a family of chili peppers the Big Jim's and 6-4's are not mild.
Mike
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018   #32
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I bought 2 10# cases of mild this year for $5 a case. I am not sure of variety, but we really like them. I made the mistake of getting XHot last year and we couldn't enjoy them, tooooo HOT! The Mild still have some heat, but not intense and perfect for us.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #33
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Ya'll need to bone up on Hatch chile varieties. Anaheim is one of many varieties, and it is the least appealing. It is mild and unspectacular to me. If you want some flavor and heat you should try Lumbre, Miss Junie, NM64, or Sandia. Even Big Jim is light years better than Anaheim. Lumbre competes with habanero for heat. I blend them for good flavor profile and heat.
I agree to a point Charley. Anaheims are really nothing more than mellow poblanos, Hatch chilies can be a multitude of things ... it's a term that is too generic for my liking (need more specifics). Big Jim is a fantastic variety by the way. I just dislike the whole Green Hatch / Red Hatch thing that they market... and then they just add the mild, medium and hot description. I want to know what the heck I am growing, not a generic term for marketing. I also think it's not Hatch unless grown in Hatch soil (but you'll get your own taste where ever you are).
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I agree to a point Charley. Anaheims are really nothing more than mellow poblanos, Hatch chilies can be a multitude of things ... it's a term that is too generic for my liking (need more specifics). Big Jim is a fantastic variety by the way. I just dislike the whole Green Hatch / Red Hatch thing that they market... and then they just add the mild, medium and hot description. I want to know what the heck I am growing, not a generic term for marketing. I also think it's not Hatch unless grown in Hatch soil (but you'll get your own taste where ever you are).
Highly accurate for a Northerner or for that matter anyone.
I give you an A +, plus a pass on essay questions.
But a Anaheims are not Poblanos.

Charley is spot on too.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #35
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
To get authentic New Mexico chile seeds (as well as many others) go to chilepepperinstitute.org. They have everything in degrees of heat from Big Jim to
Trinidad Scorpion. Get the ones marked Heritage where available. You may find prices a little high but they are authentic and include shipping.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote